What's new

Surface Pro 3 i3 64GB HEAT during normal activity and warranty date

55C is a normal operating temp for the SP3, it will kick thermal throttling at 90C until it is below 80C. Have you applied all of the Firmware Updates? Also if Chrome (especially older versions) is installed on the device it is running background processes.

How did you increase throttling temps to 90 Celsius? Is it undervolting with IntelXTU? Mine throttles to 1.7-1.9 GHz at 65 degrees but at least I don't have a ridiculously hot bottom plate.

55 Celsius operating temp is pretty high IMO. Mine is only 50 or below even when playing mp3s on background. FYI, fans are not even ON at this moment!
Capture.PNG

OP
S

SurfaceHeater

I've applied all firmware's update and the home temperature is 30°C. I'm not saying that during stressful activities surface should not reach high temperatures, for example during playing, but it's not normal that during normal activities like reading mail or looking at articles on Web I should reach 47-48 °C. Overall, if I put the surface on standby, during the idle the surface still remain HOT with the same temperature! Is it normal in your opinion?

I've read on Microsoft support tips that the ideal temperature to keep the battery safe is under 38°Celsius. If this is true, we have a problem because my temperature is NEVER under 40°C.

Is there the possibility that there are some first distribution surfaces with this problem and late product with no hardware problem?

Thanks for answering.

OP
S

SurfaceHeater

I had some process in the task that were consuming CPU like the msmpeng.exe, the maintance, and Google Chrome! I've unactivated/unistalled them all just to see if something changes!

With no chrome it's a little bit cold but I'm still not satisfied, we are still over 45 with normal activities.

The battery is stored on the left side. If you look at the sp3's internals, battery won't be affected by the motherboard's temperature.

4PLJL4POmNMAsuTf.huge

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I had some process in the task that were consuming CPU like the msmpeng.exe, the maintance, and Google Chrome! I've unactivated/unistalled them all just to see if something changes!

With no chrome it's a little bit cold but I'm still not satisfied, we are still over 45 with normal activities.
As this is new to you, I'm assuming that it was reset. Remember that Windows during the first 48-72 hours does indexing of files, optimizes the SSD and runs a deep security scan to create a baseline, so background processes do consume more resources.

Chrome is a known issue.... some are willing to put up with it as they prefer it over other browsers.

OP
S

SurfaceHeater

As this is new to you, I'm assuming that it was reset. Remember that Windows during the first 48-72 hours does indexing of files, optimizes the SSD and runs a deep security scan to create a baseline, so background processes do consume more resources.

Chrome is a known issue.... some are willing to put up with it as they prefer it over other browsers.

I bought the surface more than 30 days ago, but still the windows defender consume a lot of cpu when I reactivate from standby, when I look at video and when I launch games.

I suppose you will ask me to check for virus but I can confirm I'm clean because I ran rogue killer, malwarebytes and adware cleaner to clean up from everything, anything found from them.

20 days ago I found a bit coin miner virus, but it was starting just with plug, anyway I deleted it.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Surely having 3 pieces of security software on top of windows defender can hardly be helping things.

malberttoo

You've gotten a ton of info already to help, but I'm going to throw mine in.

If it was ME, I'd do a full reset/ restore to factory/ start fresh, and then give the thing a day or to run and settle down (index) and see if the problem persists. Only then would I begin installing software onto it. With the exception of Windows Updates of course, do that immediately and keep doing it until it's satisfied.

My SP3 was buggy as all get-out and just issue after issue. 3 weeks later (from new) I did a full reset and turned it into a new, well-running machine.

It's easy to do and won't take a lot of time...

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/e...ry/restore-refresh-or-reset-surface-pro#reset

That's my two cents' anyways.

OP
S

SurfaceHeater

You've gotten a ton of info already to help, but I'm going to throw mine in.

If it was ME, I'd do a full reset/ restore to factory/ start fresh, and then give the thing a day or to run and settle down (index) and see if the problem persists. Only then would I begin installing software onto it. With the exception of Windows Updates of course, do that immediately and keep doing it until it's satisfied.

My SP3 was buggy as all get-out and just issue after issue. 3 weeks later (from new) I did a full reset and turned it into a new, well-running machine.

It's easy to do and won't take a lot of time...

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/e...ry/restore-refresh-or-reset-surface-pro#reset

That's my two cents' anyways.[/Q

You are all really kind reporting me all these experiences! So I ask pls to continue reporting your experience so I can understand what's my problem, it doesn't matter if a lot of people already answered!

Anyway I suppose that tomorrow I will reset it to see if something changes!I hope so...

Grumpy2

Ps. If i try to register my surface on microsoft support it says that my warranty it's until 2/18/16 but that's not correct, i bought on may, in addition, it says that my technical supports expired, WHY??? Do you notice the same thing?
Did you buy your SP3 new or second hand? It seems to me that it was a second hand machine. If so would explain why the warranty expires on 2/18/16/and tech support has already expired.
Also how did you get a bitcoin virus? Was that on the device when you bought it? I think we need a lot more info here.

OP
S

SurfaceHeater

Did you buy your SP3 new or second hand? It seems to me that it was a second hand machine. If so would explain why the warranty expires on 2/18/16/and tech support has already expired.
Also how did you get a bitcoin virus? Was that on the device when you bought it? I think we need a lot more info here.

Absolutely not, i bought the surface pro 3 from an important italian megastore, so i'm sure about the seller it's not a secondhand product.

I suppose i get the bitcoin virus downloading softwares on the web, i don't know where i take it. i noticed it in a few minutes because when i plugged the AC the CPU went to 100% from that process immediately ---> scan ---> deleted.

Do you need more information?

Thanks for your help!