What's new

Surface Pro 3 i5 vs Surface Pro 3 i7 - which one to get

Torin Parker

Hello everyone - I'm looking at purchasing a Surface Pro 3 and want to get input on which model to buy core i5 or core i7. I'm and SAP Program / Project Manager working with Microsoft office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Project etc), MS Sharepoint, and SAP tools. I was almost sold on the i7 model due to the power but with the recent heating and cooling issues I became a little weary and started to look at the i5 model. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Maximus3D

Yep don't pay so much attention to what the internet says, i'm running heavy duty photo editing, video editing and 3D animation on my i7 and i have no issues with overheating. It's one hell of a fast machine to work with.

/ Magnus

Reid

While I can't speak for those folks lucky enough to have an i7, I'm inclined to agree with the posters above. Most folks won't bother to make a post or an article unless they run into a problem, I'm sure there are plenty in the silent majority that are doing just fine with their i7. Admittedly I'm not very familiar with SAP tools but I've been surprised with just how capable my i5 is, plenty of horse power for getting work done in Visual Studio and then some. Only you can answer for what your needs are but I wouldn't let the few negative reports sway your decision too much.

Grumpy2

Hello everyone - I'm looking at purchasing a Surface Pro 3 and want to get input on which model to buy core i5 or core i7. I'm and SAP Program / Project Manager working with Microsoft office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Project etc), MS Sharepoint, and SAP tools. I was almost sold on the i7 model due to the power but with the recent heating and cooling issues I became a little weary and started to look at the i5 model. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
I have had the i7/256gb since 9/19 (just over a week) and have no heating problems and the fan hardly ever cuts in. Do not believe everything people tell you. It is not always truthful. Go with your own gut feeling. However I always work on the basis that you always get the model higher than the one you want. In other words if you want the i5/256 then get the i7/256 (if you can afford it that is). I have not had any troubles with my i7 other than the pen which Microsoft swapped for me. My i7 is lightning fast and I am more than happy.
Hope that helps.

kristalsoldier

I have had the i7/256gb since 9/19 (just over a week) and have no heating problems and the fan hardly ever cuts in. Do not believe everything people tell you. It is not always truthful. Go with your own gut feeling. However I always work on the basis that you always get the model higher than the one you want. In other words if you want the i5/256 then get the i7/256 (if you can afford it that is). I have not had any troubles with my i7 other than the pen which Microsoft swapped for me. My i7 is lightning fast and I am more than happy.
Hope that helps.

But that principle does not apply in the case of marriages/ girlfriends/ boyfriends though.

Aeron15

If you're the type of person who buys a device and stick to it until it gets broken, get the i7.
If you're the type of person who tends to upgrade when a newer version of the device comes out, get the low to mid range, the i5 or something.
I only got the i3 version since it's my first time using an Surface device and I wasn't confident enough if it was worth the price tag. I wish I got the i5 version though but this i3 will do for me I guess until they release something better.

Last edited:

Toni Mathias

I got the i5 256gb and its perfect for me. I talked to the Microsoft rep and he told me unless I am doing any high end video editing or high end gaming that I would not see any difference in speed or performance. I just use mine for internet, RDP in to work, email, occasional Netflix movie and some games off of Steam. I am loving the one I got with no problems.

mtalinm

I had bad overheating issues with my i7 when I first got it, so I almost downgraded to an i5. but the firmware upgrades from early September appear to have solved those issues. glad I kept it. screaming fast.

Zog1971

I have had my i7 256gb since it's US release. I had some issues in the beginning with the fan coming on at odd times and it running very warm. I never had it shut down or get the thermometer error that some did. Through a few of my own tweaks and the few firmware updates that have been released, I no longer have had any fan or heat issues. The fan DOES come on when running intensive CPU or GPU tasks and it DOES get warm at those times. So did my SP1, so does my Macbook Pro.......you see the pattern. I think some folks may read about the fan and heat and freak out when it does come when the unit warms up--as designed. Even when the fan is running at it's highest speed it is still very quiet. Also, from most of my research, the tasks that cause my fan and unit to warm up also cause the i5's and even i3's to warm up and run the fan. Overall, I really LOVE my i7. I realize that the speed of the i7 has spoiled me as I get frustrated now on some of my other computers (sorry SP1--although I still love thee, you will be going to the land of eBay reincarnation to delight another soul very soon). I am in agreement with what most other are saying and say get the i7 if you want it! Enjoy!!! :)