What's new

Surface Pro 3 Tips & Tricks

ctitanic

Ran into a problem of my SP3 fans going insane whenever I'm downloading stuff. Looking at Task Manager, something called Microsoft Search Filter Host was constantly taking up 30% or more of my CPU.

After a bit of reading it seems like this is Microsoft's feature that indexes pretty much all the files on your system. Since I don't really use this (I keep my files pretty organized) and just use the search feature for control panel stuff and programs, I decided to disable it.

SP3 has been quiet as a mouse ever since with CPU usage constantly under 10% (usually around 5-8% or so).

This isn't for everyone but if you don't use the search feature for looking up your files or don't mind a *bit* of lag when searching for different functions, you might find it beneficial.
Just one note to this. Index is used by programs that use the libraries. In your case just removing the download folder from the indexing may have been enough.

thisiscarlo

Just one note to this. Index is used by programs that use the libraries. In your case just removing the download folder from the indexing may have been enough.

Ooh, great tip. Thanks. I've re-enabled it and removed my download folders from my libraries, hopefully that'll fix the issue.

EDIT: Looks like that did the trick! Indexing still on, but CPU % is still below 5% even while downloading. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi together,
because i had sometimes problems with shutting down (while fastboot enabled in the energy options) i tried something and perhaps it is a good tip.
I deactived fast boot in the energy options
Shut Down
New Start
Enabled it
Shut Down
Then i went into BIOS while holding down + and power
In the bios i set
- Trusted Platform to DISABLE
- Secure Boot Control to DISABLE
- Configure System Boot to "SSD ONLY" (before: Network->USB-SSD)

upload_2014-8-5_17-20-58.png

Now Windows is starting 2-3 seconds faster for me.

Wiidesire

Another trick for better battery:

You have the problem, that you take your SP3 into your bag/backpack, but the battery drains anyway? Here is the fix:
  1. open Device Manager (right click Start then choose Device Manager)
  2. open keyboard
  3. open Surface Type Cover Filter Device
  4. on Power Management Tab un-check allow this device to wake computer
This prevents the keyboard from waking the device. This does happen fairly often in your bag when you move it.

ctitanic

Hi together,
because i had sometimes problems with shutting down (while fastboot enabled in the energy options) i tried something and perhaps it is a good tip.
I deactived fast boot in the energy options
Shut Down
New Start
Enabled it
Shut Down
Then i went into BIOS while holding down + and power
In the bios i set
- Configure System Boot to "SSD ONLY" (before: Network->USB-SSD)

View attachment 2790

Now Windows is starting 2-3 seconds faster for me.
Wow! You are jeopardizing the safety of your device for 2 seconds!

Bandito

Umm, exactly what safety are we talking about here?

He did remind me to change the boot options to make the system boot only from the SSD, which is actually a safer configuration and shaves a second or two off of the boot time.

I had noticed that the SP3 seemed to be a bit slower to start up than my SP2, but this change has made them comparable in startup time now. So, thanks for the reminder, Danielo!

Thx Bandito. I think it's only the switch to boot ssd only that makes booting a little bit faster. The other options (TPM and Secure Boot) can be enabled.

ctitanic

Umm, exactly what safety are we talking about here?

He did remind me to change the boot options to make the system boot only from the SSD, which is actually a safer configuration and shaves a second or two off of the boot time.

I had noticed that the SP3 seemed to be a bit slower to start up than my SP2, but this change has made them comparable in startup time now. So, thanks for the reminder, Danielo!
These two

These can be used by Virus.

lion

Actually, if you enable Hyper-V you will gain access to change the Power Profile, that's what many of us has done to have the network card working always at full.
When I enable hypet v then my power butten seems like it doesnt work properly. Its keep putting my device in hibernate mode insted if sleep mode. I tried changing that from power options and it still does not work.. is there a better ways to gain high performance ?

ctitanic

When I enable hypet v then my power butten seems like it doesnt work properly. Its keep putting my device in hibernate mode insted if sleep mode. I tried changing that from power options and it still does not work.. is there a better ways to gain high performance ?
Run this command from a Dos Windows opened as Administrator.
powercfg -setactive 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

lion

Run this command from a Dos Windows opened as Administrator.
powercfg -setactive 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c
But the pronlem with that is when I change back to balance mode I need to re do the step again..; (