What's new

Surface pro 3 will have an i5-4300U processor, should I wait for the i7?

apoc_reg

Very pleased to hear the i7 may have a better video processor... may justify the purchase for me! Got it on preorder at 512gb but will be anxious to see some more concrete info before I decide if I should go through!

mtalinm

oooooh it's gonna be hard to wait until August.

maybe I can do that college trick where you buy an air conditioner in late May, return it in 30 days, buy another, return it in 30 days...

really want an SP3 but also really want that i7 chip!

MCube74

Interesting. I thought all i7's were quad core and that the i5's were dual core. I didn't realize there were dual core i7's. I'm not sure ~15% is really worth that much more.

That is why many are waiting for Broadwell.

It will release 3 months after the Surface Pro 3 i7 model will be available.

The jump from i5 to Broadwell vs i5 to i7

Last edited:

apkapkapk

I looked up i5-4250U and the i7-4650U and came upon this article (AnandTech | The 2013 MacBook Air: Core i5-4250U vs. Core i7-4650U). I know that the i5 in the SP3 is a 4300U but I figured this could kinda be comparable. Anyway, the reviewer basically says that the i7 has lesser battery life at higher workloads but similar battery life at low workloads. Nothing much is said about the GPU. I've actually pre-ordered the i5/256GB but am now thinking if I should upgrade the i5 to an i7. It's gonna cost an extra $400 where I'm from though...

MCube74

I looked up i5-4250U and the i7-4650U and came upon this article (AnandTech | The 2013 MacBook Air: Core i5-4250U vs. Core i7-4650U). I know that the i5 in the SP3 is a 4300U but I figured this could kinda be comparable. Anyway, the reviewer basically says that the i7 has lesser battery life at higher workloads but similar battery life at low workloads. Nothing much is said about the GPU. I've actually pre-ordered the i5/256GB but am now thinking if I should upgrade the i5 to an i7. It's gonna cost an extra $400 where I'm from though...

If money is not an issue then why not?

You have to ask yourself if you will get a surface Pro with Broadwell CPU or not. If not then you might as well get the i7 model now.

Snake Doctor

I think Microsoft is preparing to fight with iPad pro (or whatever it name will be)

SP pro 3 is quite tempting, but i just bought my SP pro 2 just 3 day ago from australia, and my problem is i'm in the country that microsoft don't sell surface.:shocked:
so i cannot just return it.

i think i will stay with my SP pro 2 and then will go for SP pro 4 or 5 :big smile:
but i will stay tune for the news about sp pro 3

That is what I am going to do. I don't see an advantage of moving to the Pro 3 unless I am missing something. I bought my Pro2 with the intention of going to the Pro3 when it came out. That idea has flown the coup; I see no advantages of moving up.

Same processor driving more pixels?
It depends what you're using it for I suppose, but on balance expect performance of the i5 to be less than or equal to the sp2.

As for comparing to the Macbook; that won't help much as they will have different thermal targets.