What's new

Surface Pro 4 - wishlists!

dafolzey

Here's a good one I read recently ... SP4 will have a Xeon Processor. :D

They just have to figure out how to include the 325 BTU/Hr cooling system... maybe a backpack :D
Well, given that workstation Xeons are identical to desktop i7s plus ECC memory support, they could just add ECC support to a mobile i7. But that would be a rather bad idea, ECC adds a decent amount of power usage to the memory.

dafolzey

make the pen optional, throw in the type cover keyboard and or offer an optional premium keyboard made out of the same material that the tablet is made out of for a solid typing experience. DOCK the pen in the tablet! Get the processor throttling under control , I want max power at all times. Add and additional usb, 2 should be the minimum, move the windows button on the tablet as to not cause problems while holding in landscape or portrait. We need more spec options, have a configurator on the Microsoft store to configure ram-processor-storage options for a custom tablet.
I agree that the pen should be sold as an accessory rather than the keyboard, but it definitely needs to stay. The pen is the main reason to buy a Surface over a competitor from ASUS or Dell. Better yet, include the keyboard and the pen; and make the keyboard backlit.

Then also offer an optional heavier keyboard with a secondary battery to shift the weight balance closer to that of a laptop than what the standard keyboard offers. I probably wouldn't buy it, but I could see it convincing a lot of people and making the product overall more successful.

As for the throttling, when it is working properly it is actually a performance boosting feature. All modern processor designers employ it (although usually called boosting) so that they can provide the maximum amount of performance the current thermal situation can handle. I take care to specify when it is working properly because there is obviously something wrong with the i7 variant of the SP3 when the i5 variant outperforms it during extended usage.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, given that workstation Xeons are identical to desktop i7s plus ECC memory support, they could just add ECC support to a mobile i7. But that would be a rather bad idea, ECC adds a decent amount of power usage to the memory.
I don't think a xeon has a GPU though so there's that...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some of the workstation SKUs do. I remember reading somewhere that the Xeon E3-1245 v2 is the most popular SKU Intel has ever shipped, and that has HD Graphics 4000P in it.
Yeah, I see that... went looking after your post.. that part has a TDP of 77w though ... That will be an interesting challenge :) I Do see some other models with plausible TDPs in the range though but then do they have the power management features... could be ... I guess we will see when it happens. :)

silkrooster

I think right now, it is hard to create a all in one unit. Though the surface is close.

Time should be spent on making upgradable devices that can snap into the surface, the keyboard or the docking station. Granted this could make the device thicker but over time it should get thinner as the devices reduce in size.
What should be snapable is the drive, memory, video card, I/O ports, audio card, and battery. (if room maybe the cpu and cooler) Making a truly an upgradable system to compete with desktops and destroy laptops.

A better system to provide power to external devices

Think about ways to provide power to the device when power outlets are hard to find - Airplanes, trains, subways, the woods, living off the grid - In other words find alternative types of batteries including using external batteries, DC power cords, someway to use USB charging and so on.

The pen needs more pressure levels

The screen needs an overlay that is softer to give the feel of paper - more friction is needed and can be an option accessory

Allow all buttons on the pen to be assigned by the user

Allow the top row buttons on the keyboard to be assigned by the user

Create your own DVD/blue ray drives that require less power

If the keyboard cover was thicker, it could be a place to snap the pen and a small mouse into it.

Keep working on getting it lighter (this should stay in the mind when thinking of ways to create the above)

Granted some or most of this maybe unreasonable for the next version, but should be kept in mind as going forward.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I hate to admit this....but the device many describe that you want in a future Surface Pro would lead me away from the platform, I don't want an Intel Vision of a 2 and 1 Ultrabook, the OEMs have that covered....

The Upgrade I want to see is WiGIG and Wireless Charging....get rid of all Cables, using the Miracast Adapter for my wireless dock has been amazing.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think right now, it is hard to create a all in one unit. Though the surface is close.

Time should be spent on making upgradable devices that can snap into the surface, the keyboard or the docking station. Granted this could make the device thicker but over time it should get thinner as the devices reduce in size.
What should be snapable is the drive, memory, video card, I/O ports, audio card, and battery. (if room maybe the cpu and cooler) Making a truly an upgradable system to compete with desktops and destroy laptops.

A better system to provide power to external devices

Think about ways to provide power to the device when power outlets are hard to find - Airplanes, trains, subways, the woods, living off the grid - In other words find alternative types of batteries including using external batteries, DC power cords, someway to use USB charging and so on.

The pen needs more pressure levels

The screen needs an overlay that is softer to give the feel of paper - more friction is needed and can be an option accessory

Allow all buttons on the pen to be assigned by the user

Allow the top row buttons on the keyboard to be assigned by the user

Create your own DVD/blue ray drives that require less power

If the keyboard cover was thicker, it could be a place to snap the pen and a small mouse into it.

Keep working on getting it lighter (this should stay in the mind when thinking of ways to create the above)

Granted some or most of this maybe unreasonable for the next version, but should be kept in mind as going forward.
These two themes, connections and options, will lead to significantly more reliability problems especially where users are connecting components together. Its a fact of computing that the fewer connections there are the more reliable it will be. Somebody might make such a device but it would be incredibly expensive and it wont be Microsoft.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
One thing I would like to see added even to the existing devices is Boot from Micro SD/Installing to Micro SD and rehoming the Programs folders to Micro SD.

Two Micro SD slots in SP4, one lockable so its not accidentally removed.

silkrooster

These two themes, connections and options, will lead to significantly more reliability problems especially where users are connecting components together. Its a fact of computing that the fewer connections there are the more reliable it will be. Somebody might make such a device but it would be incredibly expensive and it wont be Microsoft.
Yeah, I have been thinking about this and all components would have to be made by MS. You pointed out one reason and the other is security. They have to be made in such a way that the device will not work or component cover close if anything other than the intended component is there. Otherwise it would be a place to hide items for smuggling or causing severe damage to others. That is certainly not the intention needed. If this can not be done, then might a well scrap the idea. That would be the last thing MS or any company would want for a lawsuit.
I am almost talking myself out of the idea. Though it maybe feasible in the docking station that would stay at home or the office.

silkrooster

I hate to admit this....but the device many describe that you want in a future Surface Pro would lead me away from the platform, I don't want an Intel Vision of a 2 and 1 Ultrabook, the OEMs have that covered....

The Upgrade I want to see is WiGIG and Wireless Charging....get rid of all Cables, using the Miracast Adapter for my wireless dock has been amazing.
Maybe more features should be wireless. A wireless charger, hard drive, dvd drive, and I think that's all that's left. Perhaps miracast could be updated to bypass what Bluetooth should have been. Having two computers side by side using a private network. Though wifi should be able to do that already. Maybe I am just talking out of my hat. LOL.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
WiGIG is Wireless USB 3.1....Miracast is Wireless HDMI and Wireless Charging is out there, just hasn't been used for anything larger than a Smartphone....