What's new

Surface Pro 5 Discussion

Afy

I just hope they launch it in the yUK/EU at the same time as the US.

From a spec and form factor view I do hope for a bigger screen, and more RAM. 32 GB would be nice.

totalloser

A lot of the time the next generation of a devices line get lighter and thinner and the components more energy efficient.

But as they do this the battery size is reduced with it - so the run time of the device remains roughly the same.

I wish they made the SP 5 the same thickness as the SP 4 or even the SP3 if it meant a bigger battery added with the newer more energy efficient processors etc. Then you would get a true 10 hour device - that would be amazing.

As someone else commented this obsession with ppi on a 12 inch screen the SP 4 has plenty. Every ppi upgrade eats into your on the move play time.

I don't think the SP 5 will get thinner, as I remember reading an article where a spokesman said they could of made the SP 4 thinner but they couldn't without removing the usb port. I can't remember the source of the quote sorry - but it makes sense.

Also the SP 4 m3 has a 'big' gap were the fan would go if it needed one - as you probably know it doesn't. MS could of squeezed 10, 000 juicy battery mah in there easy - then I would of thought about buying the m3 over the i5, it probably would of run for days! Haha :D

I loved the idea of a new pen with a lid, lazer pointer and a scroll wheel. What an addition for presentations and page scrolling /clicking as you surf the Web on the sofa.

But this has to be a new product - as a graphic designer messing with the 'old' pens shape and feel would be bad news. We should all group together and get a nice Chinese firm to build this new pen and so I've been reading Kristal's Surface cover / screen protector. ;)

Thanks for your comments they're very helpful and enjoyable.

All the best Steven

Last edited:
Surface brought back pen computing to the masses. I hope they make the pen better than the Apple Pencil. The new pen needs to support better pressure sensitivity, pen tilt in order to stay in the game. When MS should've bought Wacom.
Better battery life. I wouldn't mind the unit being heavier if it gave true 9hrs of use. I don't like it when I dload a small (not 500+MB) windows update, anti-virus update, windows app update, then finding out my battery went from 100% to 89%.
Surface PRO should have a OLED screen. Better battery life. Better color. Or at least the newest LED technology that gets close to OLED. Screen bleed is a drawback.
At least one more USB 3.0 or better port.
Make the keyboard cover either cheaper or include a standard black/dark grey keyboard included with the tablet. I don't know of anyone who bought just the Surface without the keyboard. Which, makes a valid point in keeping it separate.. but still it makes the Surface seem way more expensive. INCLUDE a pen holder on the keyboard cover or a slot built into the surface.
PLEASE make the Surface more compatible with games. Granted, this is more of a video card issue, but even the Surfacebook has issues because they made the Nvidia driver non-standard.

CrippsCorner

I don't think the SP 5 will get thinner, as I remember reading an article where a spokesman said they could of made the SP 4 thinner but they couldn't without removing the usb port. I can't remember the source of the quote sorry - but it makes sense.

Yes but of course we now have USB-C which hopefully the next product will include... meaning they could go thinner if that was the only thing holding them back.

I'm getting increasingly worried that new hardware is not coming in the first half of this year :( I really wanted to get a new Surface this spring but surely there should be a conference release date by now!? Apple have already confirmed WWDC which is in June.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes but of course we now have USB-C which hopefully the next product will include... meaning they could go thinner if that was the only thing holding them back.

I'm getting increasingly worried that new hardware is not coming in the first half of this year :( I really wanted to get a new Surface this spring but surely there should be a conference release date by now!? Apple have already confirmed WWDC which is in June.
But Surface events are usually standalone press events not coinciding with any conferences.

totalloser

I think it's going to be later in the year .. I was hoping for a March announcement and May release but I think it may be later in the year... but I don't know why unless they are holding off so they can add the new chipset 'Cannonlake'.

The new Kaby Lake processor's have launched and could be in a May SP5 launch - so I don't know why else they would wait - but I keep reading October, October - but I think the sooner the better for MS. I'm still hoping it's May .

I read about the usb-C as well - I think thats going to happen - also a lot of talk about a 4k screen - I hope that's optional as that would be a battery killer! Maybe it will be a 'top of the line' option.

We shall hold our breath :) but it's all a rumour mill MS are very good at keeping their cards close to their chest :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
IDK if they will wait for CannonLake, it would be a fresh node with potential problems... Intel has been a little suspect lately so IDK if I'd put faith in them to nail it. Coffee Lake is coming also ... They could be doing prototypes with all three chips. decisions, decisions.

I think the SP3 was intended to be Broadwell but Intel kept delaying and delaying so they finally decided to go with Haswell ... (same as SP2) then Intel released Broadwell right after MS released the SP3.

CrippsCorner

But Surface events are usually standalone press events not coinciding with any conferences.

My point is I thought there'd be an announcement of whatever it is by now... call it a press event or conference etc.

I really want a new Surface this half of the year, but don't want to buy an 18 month old device without even a spec bump when there's something else coming shortly after! I know there's never a 'right' time to buy technology though.

I think it's going to be later in the year .. I was hoping for a March announcement and May release but I think it may be later in the year... but I don't know why unless they are holding off so they can add the new chipset 'Cannonlake'.

The new Kaby Lake processor's have launched and could be in a May SP5 launch - so I don't know why else they would wait - but I keep reading October, October - but I think the sooner the better for MS. I'm still hoping it's May .

I read about the usb-C as well - I think thats going to happen - also a lot of talk about a 4k screen - I hope that's optional as that would be a battery killer! Maybe it will be a 'top of the line' option.

We shall hold our breath :) but it's all a rumour mill MS are very good at keeping their cards close to their chest :)

March > May... maybe you heard the same rumour as me, i.e. that something was to be announced around the release of the Creators Update? There's still time, but looking more and more unlikely every day! Although, I did notice a big price reduction on Surface Pro 4 recently, so maybe (hopefully) they're starting to clear stock.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Microsoft has typically sent out the press invites for these launch events 5-10 days in advanced....so we'll see :)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Please could we have USB charging

I'd rather they didn't. The current charging system works just great, is a lot more secure than usb (in terms of potential for damage from snagged cables etc, look at the backlash apple got when they went from magsafe to usb..), and I'd rather not have to resort to dongles and such in order to continue to use the rather expensive dock they sold me.

What would be cool is if the SP5 had the regular magnetic charging option, but had usb-c ports which can also be used to charge the device if that is your preference. Not sure if that is technically possible, but if they managed to charge the S3 via micro-usb and displayport, then I don't see why it wouldn't be.