What's new

Surface Pro 6 Is A Little Misleading

OP
SteveL

SteveL

Well, all is not well here. I am still trying to get the Surface Pro 6 to do what the Surface Pro 3 does. I am dealing with a string of software activation problems with programs that I purchased and have keys for but are 5-10 years old. Again, they work fine and install correctly on the Surface Pro 3. This is exactly why I wanted to go the C drive image route for the upgrade. Microsoft support is not working for me now. The automated phone system now always takes me to a pay for support option or a web site that is useless. I am going to try to do the image copy again and see if I can activate the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro that I purchased from Microsoft. This failed the last time I tried but was prior to the firmware restore.

I can't offer any advice on the Surface Pro 6.

Happy Trails

OP
SteveL

SteveL

This is my final update. I deeply regret going down the Surface Pro 6 road.

I was unable to install and activate some important software. These are all purchased but are 5-15 years old. Old software may be risky but that should be MY choice. What really is going on would typically be called extortion.

Photoshop 6, Photoshop CS3 and Office 2016 will not install/activate.
They are unsupported or the key is now not valid. They did activate three years ago.

Learning new software at 65 is not easy and is almost IMPOSSIBLE. Everyone I know over 65 has severe short term memory problems. A simple update can take many hours of Googling to try and understand. Neither of us want to learn new software as a hobby. We just wanted to use the software we know to support our hobbies. This computer gift has had my wife crying several times.

I hope you all have a happy new year.

Turbo4AWD

I was unable to install and activate some important software. These are all purchased but are 5-15 years old. Old software may be risky but that should be MY choice. What really is going on would typically be called extortion.

They are unsupported or the key is now not valid. They did activate three years ago.

Learning new software at 65 is not easy and is almost IMPOSSIBLE. Everyone I know over 65 has severe short term memory problems. A simple update can take many hours of Googling to try and understand. Neither of us want to learn new software as a hobby. We just wanted to use the software we know to support our hobbies. This computer gift has had my wife crying several times.

Let me introduce you to a 72 year old that just beat cancer and has updated his Android phone to version 9.0. Not to mention he just developed software for a company a few months ago and got a lump sum $100,000 payment. I am still in awe of this father of 7 children and the fact that he is STILL so sharp minded.

Not everyone is the same and nothing is absolute. I'm sorry you are having difficulties using old software with the Surface Pro 6. I do agree that it should work if you have the licenses for the software you purchased. Hopefully something will work out for you to be able to use your software with Windows 10 on the Surface Pro 6.

jott27

The will to learn should not be diminished with age. Nothing helps more to overcome memory problems than to make every effort to learn new things. I am 92 years old and have just purchased a surface pro 6 recently. It is a complete new experience for me to get used to the complexity. There is lots of room for complaining, if one is inclined to do so. This forum is an excellent source for getting help when needed. Some of the problems a newcomer encounters can be solved by asking, even if some of the questions might be simpleminded ones.
I personally find, that solving problems makes life more interesting and one should not falling into the attitude of complaining. Nothing is perfect and one should not expect current software to be free of hidden bugs. Upgrades are normal and are done to improve. Try to have a positive attitude and you might even get some enjoyment out of solving some problems.

Fast-T

I don't think this is a surface issue. Especially Adibe changed to subscription models over the last 5 years and like to discontinue supporting old software. Have you contacted their support for issuing a new license key?

Also some old software needs to be run in compatibility mode. Windows 10 provides such support and can emulate a Win7 or older environment for legacy software. Contact a MS support member and they'll show you how to do that. I am running a legacy database software and MS was very helpful to provide instructions how to run this sw in Windows 7 environment.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Russ

The will to learn should not be diminished with age. Nothing helps more to overcome memory problems than to make every effort to learn new things. I am 92 years old and have just purchased a surface pro 6 recently.
. . .
Try to have a positive attitude and you might even get some enjoyment out of solving some problems.

Jott --
Well, I certainly saw that one coming when I read OP's complaint about being 65. I'm only 80, but am still learning new stuff every day.
When I grow up, I wanna be like you.
Take care,
Russ