What's new

Surface pro 7-8-9 comparison

ArieBos

I am thinking of buying a new surface pro, but does anybody know a good comparison between the models?
I saw an Asus laptop with an i9 processor. Does that exist in Surface Pro?

Plantje

I don't think an i9 option exists for the the surface pro. Main difference between 7 on one hand and 8/9 on the other is the screen.

I would recommend checking some YouTube videos in which all versions get reviewed. Those have all been made over the years

OP
A

ArieBos

I don't think an i9 option exists for the the surface pro. Main difference between 7 on one hand and 8/9 on the other is the screen.

I would recommend checking some YouTube videos in which all versions get reviewed. Those have all been made over the years
Thank you, will try to find some of those. The surface is too expensive to make a decision lightly.

Plantje

That's exactly my idea. Recently my Surface Pro 2017 Advanced LTE started throwing this many BSODs that I have to consider it broken. I am also looking for a replacement. Don't need the latest and greatest, so currently I am looking for second hand Surface Pro X, Surface Pro 8 or one of the Samsung Tab S8 flavors.

To be honest: I am currently testing a Samsung Tab A 2019. It is sluggish as hell, but apart from that Android is treating me quite well!

OP
A

ArieBos

Well, I need a windows machine for work... thinking of the SP 32GB/1Tb version. Strangely enough, nobody sells the beautiful green version here in the Netherlands.... only graphite and platinum..

Plantje

I also always thought I need a Windows machine for work, but nowadays I am more and more convinced that an Android device fits my needs. Enrolling a privately owned Android device in our company's device management is way easier than enrolling a Windows device. I always thought I was on the safe side as for work we also use Windows devices.
True in green the most advanced version you can order is a 16GB/512GB i7 variant.

Turbo4AWD

I also always thought I need a Windows machine for work, but nowadays I am more and more convinced that an Android device fits my needs. Enrolling a privately owned Android device in our company's device management is way easier than enrolling a Windows device. I always thought I was on the safe side as for work we also use Windows devices.
True in green the most advanced version you can order is a 16GB/512GB i7 variant.
Depending on how good that new Immersed Visor is, you might end up going back to a Windows Machine. Nothing like being able to carry up to 5 resizeable displays in your backpack with your Surface Pro!

Turbo4AWD

Que? You seem to be responding to a different topic
lol, Lengthy Explanation inbound:
You Find it easier to use Android for work because it can be integrated into the company easier than a Windows device at the moment. However, whatever you may gain in "easy to join the company network" you lose in productivity.
There is a new pair of Augmented Reality Glasses coming very soon called "Visor" by a company named "Immersed".
They have managed to get a really high quality headset to fit into what looks like a regular pair of glasses. For the record, this is not your "Rokid Air" or "TCL" or whatever other glasses that are out there now. These glasses have full 4k or full 2k resolution screens inside of them that let you create up to 5 floating screens in mid air of whatever size you want.

Currently the experience is only available on Windows, Linux, and MacOS. Android is NOT supported for this. The glasses are small enough to fit in your pocket or hang from your shirt, etc. For this reason, I feel like the appeal of being easily able to join an Android device to a company's network or system is going to be surpassed by Windows Flexibility and productivity power.
If I was able to get up to 5 screens set at whatever size or height I want, whenever and wherever I want, and it is SUPER comfortable to use, I wouldn't care about how easy it is to get the device into the company's system.

Portable and powerful despite being difficult to add to a company's network. All while STILL being able to see the world around you.

Immersed-Visor-on-table---front-1.png

Immersed-Visor-on-table---frontside-1.png

Don't get me wrong though, I would rather use my Virtual Reality headset for all this type of work, but this device is more for regular workers that feel nervous about having a much bigger headset on and being in public.
I personally would rather use "Passthrough Cameras" on a VR headset to see everyone while working on multiple screens.

Plantje

Well as response to these glasses: these ones are really nice as well! XREAL Air

However, any Android or iOS device I can just enroll in our company's MDM. For some stupid reason we use all Windows devices, but I cannot enroll a personal Windows device into our systems. Our managing directors have the option to pick a Surface Pro as their working device. At some point I asked our tech people to provide the image to me to use on my personal Surface Pro, but I was not allowed to.
I really thought I was on the safe side opting for a Windows device, but they seem to lean more and more towards supporting non-Windows devices. Mind you: I work for a company with over 735.000 people world wide.... :(

At the same time: If I want to buy another Surface Pro 9 I am down about € 1500,- to € 2000,- to be up and running. And I don't even have one running cellular internet. If I opt for a Tab S9+ with 5G I am done for about € 1000,-. (I am comparing the devices including a keyboard and pen)

And if I look at usage: I mostly use Office, Edge, Youtube, Netflix, Feedly, Spotify... Everything is available for all OSes. So actually there is less and less need for Windows. The main reason now to still opt for Windows is their copilot anouncement which seems really interesting!

Turbo4AWD

Well as response to these glasses: these ones are really nice as well! XREAL Air

However, any Android or iOS device I can just enroll in our company's MDM. For some stupid reason we use all Windows devices, but I cannot enroll a personal Windows device into our systems. Our managing directors have the option to pick a Surface Pro as their working device. At some point I asked our tech people to provide the image to me to use on my personal Surface Pro, but I was not allowed to.
I really thought I was on the safe side opting for a Windows device, but they seem to lean more and more towards supporting non-Windows devices. Mind you: I work for a company with over 735.000 people world wide.... :(

At the same time: If I want to buy another Surface Pro 9 I am down about € 1500,- to € 2000,- to be up and running. And I don't even have one running cellular internet. If I opt for a Tab S9+ with 5G I am done for about € 1000,-. (I am comparing the devices including a keyboard and pen)

And if I look at usage: I mostly use Office, Edge, Youtube, Netflix, Feedly, Spotify... Everything is available for all OSes. So actually there is less and less need for Windows. The main reason now to still opt for Windows is their copilot anouncement which seems really interesting!
I think Google just announced their new A.I. this past week though.

Plantje

And of course there is a possibility that Microsoft will deliver copilot as an option not only for Microsoft 365 (no matter what platform) but for Android as well