What's new

Surface Pro Back Protector with Grip?

sonex293

I've just received my Surface Pro 128GB and I'm getting everything setup. One thing I'm finding a little annoying is the slickness of the front and back surfaces. Has anyone found a skin yet for the back that provides a little "grip" for holding? There are quite a few full body protectors showing up, but none talk about improved grip.

Clear of otherwise if fine. I'm more interested in function.....

==
Michael

J515OP

Super Moderator
Welcome Michael, that is gong to be relative. Most people aren't having slickness issues with their Surface without a skin. That being said some of the clear skins can be sort of tacky and the brushed metal and carbon fiber skins have been reported to have texture that may help you grip your Surface. If you are using a cover you can flip it around and snap it on backwards and then the felt side will be facing our giving you extra grip as well.

bertopl

I've tried 3 different skin vendors and I'm convinced stickerboy is the best. I posted pictures of the xoskins somewhere else on this forum which are good too, but the fit of the stickerboy skins are so much more precise. the carbon fiber gives the surface a nice grippy feel. both xoskins and stickerboy are textured, they are NOT simply smooth with a printed "look" but have a really comfortable feel to them and neither pick up any fingerprints. the "matte" side pieces are thick and have a nice texture to them too. another great thing about stickerboy is that you can mix and match front, back and side skins on many devices. I also cut out a little square piece of wrapsol, it's a matte clear wrap left over from a MacBook skin, and applied it to the trackpad which seems to wear pretty quickly for me. so with the stickerboy back and side wraps, an incipio screen protector which has been crystal clear from day one, and the wrapsol on the trackpad, the surface is pretty well protected!! here's a couple of the stickerboy pictures.

stickerboy_surface1.jpg

the wrapsol on the trackpad isn't very noticeable at all. gives the trackpad a nice feel and it doesn't hinder its functionality at all for me.

stickerboy_surface2.jpg

good luck!!

OP
sonex293

sonex293

Thanks for the replies. I just placed an order with stickerboy.net and we'll see how it goes. I decided to just order the "back" skin.

==
Michael

OP
sonex293

sonex293

Got my Screen Protector and Back Protector in the mail today. Much happier now with this combination.

Screen Protector: Tech Armor Microsoft Surface RT/PRO Tablet Anti-Glare & Anti-Fingerprint Screen Protector
Amazon.com: Tech Armor Microsoft Surface RT/PRO Tablet Anti-Glare & Anti-Fingerprint Screen Protector with Lifetime Replacement Warranty [2-PACK] - Retail Packaging: Computers & Accessories

Back Protector: Stickerboy Black Carbon Fiber Series - Microsoft Surface Pro Skin
Stickerboy ? Carbon Fiber Series - Microsoft Surface Pro Skins

Both went on very easily. I was real happy that the Screen protector went on quickly and without dust or bubbles!

--
Michael

bertopl

congrats, glad you like the stickerboy skins!! it really makes a difference to me not having to worry about scratching this beauty up every time I toss it in my backpack. best damn lookin computer I've owned in my opinion!!

Ruffles

I have the xoskins.com carbon fiber. It's very nice with a good texture and it's easy to apply without bubbles. The only thing was it was a hair too wide and I had to trim it a bit to fit.

hoodie

I am going for the XO as well. I have it on my phone, since we finally got approval for a surface pro I will be getting the clear screen and a carbon fiber back. Their clear doesn't have orange peel like other kinds. The carbon fiber isn't printed but a textured material, so it should give ya grip

beq

I've tried 3 different skin vendors and I'm convinced stickerboy is the best. I posted pictures of the xoskins somewhere else on this forum which are good too, but the fit of the stickerboy skins are so much more precise.
Sorry I realize this is an old post, but just curious what was the 3rd brand of skin that you'd tried? Did you find the Stickerboy vinyl to be thicker than XO Skins?

Thanks again! Just ordered the black leather and black matte antibacterial from Stickerboy to evaluate, before buying more. Wanted something with texture/grip, but close to the naked dark titanium finish of the SP2.

Based on sharpcolorado's other thread, I actually hope that the Stickerboy vinyl is not too thick whereby the SP2 won't fit in the upcoming FreedomCase (which has a pocket that the kickstand inserts into). Otherwise I'd have to get a thinner vinyl from another brand...

P.S. Also ordered the clear "polyurethane" skin from ArmorSuit and Skinomi to compare, but I fear it will make the back side too glossy. And while the tacky/rubbery material may provide better grip, it could also be harder to clean with alcohol wipes?