What's new

Surface Pro CPU Temps?

Headhunter

Although I love my surface pro, there is one major flaw, The Heat. After downloading some games (battlefield 2, DayZ, Tribes Ascend, Minecraft, etc.) I found that they run beautifully with some on high settings. Unfortunately after some use I noticed a cycle of silky smooth gameplay to very choppy gameplay at <25 fps. After a while I downloaded SpeedFan and graphed my core temps. I found out that the CPU halves its power when It reaches 80 degrees C. I also saw that during games the cpu temperature was fluctuating between 60-80 degrees. That seems extremely high and I was just wondering if I had a defective unit. This is extremely frusterating because this maching has the potential to be a very decent gaming rig minus this one flaw.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Although I love my surface pro, there is one major flaw, The Heat. After downloading some games (battlefield 2, DayZ, Tribes Ascend, Minecraft, etc.) I found that they run beautifully with some on high settings. Unfortunately after some use I noticed a cycle of silky smooth gameplay to very choppy gameplay at <25 fps. After a while I downloaded SpeedFan and graphed my core temps. I found out that the CPU halves its power when It reaches 80 degrees C. I also saw that during games the cpu temperature was fluctuating between 60-80 degrees. That seems extremely high and I was just wondering if I had a defective unit. This is extremely frusterating because this maching has the potential to be a very decent gaming rig minus this one flaw.

I can't say if that is normal but it sounds reasonable. Yes the Surface might be capable of playing games and having gaming rig "potential" but it isn't a gaming rig. Gaming rigs are precisely that because they are designed with such things as gaming in mind and therefore above average cooling. I understand what you mean but quite simply that is not the Surface's purpose. If gaming is your purpose then a dedicated rig would make better sense.

souldier

Yeah I wouldn't say it is a flaw, but that it simply wasn't designed with the capability of keeping up with high end games that will considerably raise the internal temperature, forcing the cpu to limit its output. The tablet form factor makes it extra hard to keep it cool. For non gaming purposes, I think the tablet works perfectly

ArnoldC

With what the OP reported, I'm happy to know that the Surface Pro is doing its job extremely well. Heat management is extreme in such form factor and the Surface Pro is doing an excellent job.

OP
H

Headhunter

Thank You all for the reply's, but I suppose I worded my original question poorly. I guess I was just wondering if other users were experiencing the same things. Also, do you think heat like this will damage this device in the long run. I never expected the surface to be a gaming machine, I just thought it would be a nice plus if it was.

souldier

I don't think it will damage the cpu since it is designed to lower speeds and cool itself down as necessary. Perhaps the only way you can damage it is if you force the clock speeds to remain at high levels, if that's even possible

bosamar

Thank You all for the reply's, but I suppose I worded my original question poorly. I guess I was just wondering if other users were experiencing the same things. Also, do you think heat like this will damage this device in the long run. I never expected the surface to be a gaming machine, I just thought it would be a nice plus if it was.

If they purchased the Pro to play games on I'm sure they are having the same experience. Of course it all depends on how 'graphic' intense the game is. As many have mentioned it's not designed to be a gaming machine, however, like any quality device it's sure to meet most demands placed upon it. If you are trying to run the most graphic-intensive games on it, the Pro may handle them, but it's not what it was designed for.