What's new

Surface Pro how to sleep display?

c1tric

Hello all,

New forum and surface pro user here!

I've googled for this and tried searching the forum but can't find an answer... yet I believe that it must be a common problem that everyone must have searched for at some point? Maybe I'm being really thick :)!

I can't find a way to just sleep the display, so without locking the device or affecting functionality. Does anyone know how to do this please?
It doesn't seem to be an option that I can change the power button to do. Do nothing, sleep, hibernate or shutdown being the only options.
Sleep obviously kills all of the apps that are currently being used such as music player, youtube etc.

It doesn't have to be done through the power button, at this point I'm just looking for any way I can just turn the display off.

Thanks all for your time.

Kind regards,

c1tric

Bzee

I don't know if there is an easy way. If I wanted to do this, I'd set up a blank screen saver with either a short activation time or use a 3rd party screen saver control to activate the screen saver.

vinumsv

You can try this tool

wizproperties.gif

https://www.grc.com/wizmo/wizmo.htm

here are few options you have

blackout — blank the screen to "basic black"
Leave the system's monitors powered on, but blank the screen(s) to absolute black. Colors other than black can be chosen by using the "desktop" command instead of "blackout." Since this is a Wizmo hosted screen saver, the mouse sensitivity "shake=" command can precede the "blackout" command to set or disable subsequent mouse movement unblanking. Other Wizmo commands to change system settings may be placed before and after the "blackout" command to alter the system's operation during the blanking.
Example: wizmo blackout

desktop — blank the screen to "desktop" color
Leave the system's monitors powered on and blanks the screen(s) to the desktop's color. In practice this is very much like removing all desktop icons, windows, and other user-interface details from the screen(s). The "blank to" color is chosen from the Appearances tab of the desktop properties dialog. Since this is a Wizmo hosted screen saver, the mouse sensitivity "shake=" command can precede the "desktop" command to set or disable subsequent mouse movement unblanking. Other Wizmo commands to change system settings may be placed before and after the "desktop" command to alter the system's operation during the blanking.
Example: wizmo desktop

monoff — turns off all monitors
Any system monitors that support Windows advanced power management (APM) will be immediately powered down until they are awakened by the keyboard or mouse movement. Since this is a Wizmo hosted mode, the mouse sensitivity "shake=" command can precede the "monoff" command to set or disable subsequent mouse movement unblanking. Other Wizmo commands to change system settings may be placed before and after the "monoff" command to alter the system's operation while the monitors are powered down.
Example: wizmo monoff

i haven't tested it on my SP ...