What's new

Surface Pro X screen brightness issue

Geoff Arnold

I'm having an odd experience with the screen brightness of my SPX. Here's the sequence:

1. Turn on the SPX to wake it from sleep. The screen appears to be at about 60% brightness.

2. Press F7 (increase brightness). The screen brightness widget appears briefly, showing 100% brightness. The screen brightness doesn't change.

3. Open Settings, navigate to System ->Display page. The Display brightness slider is at 100%. (Change brightness automatically is unchecked.)

4. Click the Display brightness slider at about the 80% mark. The screen immediately brightens (confirming that it was well below 100%).

5. Click the slider at the 100% mark. The screen brightens to 100%.
This sequence is the only way I can get 100% brightness after the SPX has been in sleep mode. Thoughts?

[Note: this is with the SPX connected to power. I haven't tried it on battery. The advanced power settings are standard Balanced. I've also posted this to the reddit SPX.]

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
There seem to be a number of oddities with brightness on the Pro X, all we can hope for is an update from Microsoft to fix it. I just had to reboot to change brightness after the X hibernated and I was unable to change brightness at all. I guess the engineer working on this wasn't the brightest ... o_O

WAR

I've noticed my brightness varies while I'm using my device. I figured it will get fixed in an update.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It appears to be fixed in the latest Insider Build for H12020...
That's a bit surprising because these issues usually stem from firmware and driver problems.

I won't likely be installing that any time soon, I haven't even installed 1909 yet :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That's a bit surprising because these issues usually stem from firmware and driver problems.

I won't likely be installing that any time soon, I haven't even installed 1909 yet :)
I've been running the latest build and it is working as expected and the GSOD video driver issue is also gone...

Search tags for this page
microsoft surface pro brightness not changing

surface pro brightness not changing

surface pro screen brightness not changing
surface pro x brightness
surface pro x brightness issue
surface pro x brightness setting not working
surface pro x display brightness
surface pro x screen brightness
surface pro x screen brightness keeps dimming
surface x brightness

Members online