What's new

Surface RT and Office 365

kristalsoldier

Hi...

I was just thinking about this and wanted your inputs on the same.

I have a Surface RT which as you all know comes with Office RT (which will soon have Outlook RT added to it with 8.1). On my desktop machine, I have Office 2010.

If I bought into the Office 365 deal (I would get a very good price because of work-related reasons), it would mean that I could install it and use it on 5 machines (or something like that).

At the moment I have only 2 working machines - the RT and the desktop. In a month or so, I will have a Windows phone (probably the Nokia 720). So, once I get O365, I could install it on my desktop machine. I assume I can also install it on the Surface RT and the phone (when I get it)?

But the Surface already has Office 2013 RT. What happens to that installation? Does it just lie around occupying my already meager disk space on the RT or does it somehow work with O365?

I am quite eager to get O365 (mostly because of the Skydrive space that comes with it) and because of Outlook. The last, of course, is now a non-issue given that a release of Outlook RT is in the offing.

So, how does this work?

Thanks in advance.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Oh well! I should have checked online before posting. Here is what MS has to say about this issue:

Windows RT devices, such as Surface RT, come with Office Home and Student 2013, which you can use with Office 365. Office Home and Student 2013 includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote. Since you can only install apps from the Windows Store on your Windows RT device, you cannot install the version of Office that comes with Office 365. You can, however, still get to your email, access team sites, and work on documents by using the Office 365 portal. You can also use the Windows RT apps for email, contacts, your calendar, and messaging.

Source: Use Office 365 on your Windows RT device - office365 suite - Office.com

tonyz3

Once you log into the office app on your rt all you're previous docs will be synced as well. When I log onto my wife's rtI I can pick up on a word doc for ex right where I left off on my pro with office 365. I am sure a lot of this function will be the same with the email once they add it.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Once you log into the office app on your rt all you're previous docs will be synced as well. When I log onto my wife's rtI I can pick up on a word doc for ex right where I left off on my pro with office 365. I am sure a lot of this function will be the same with the email once they add it.

Thanks. Yeah...probably. I think MS should have designed the RT in a way to make it easy to host O365 on board and not limit it to accessing it online only. This should have replaced the Office 2013 RT that came with the machine.

I think I will lay off O365 for the moment. Maybe next year when I upgrade my desktop machine and the RT, I will get it.