What's new

Surface RT specific - Outlook 2013RT, Mail App related

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

1. During setup of the account, it will ask you where to save the PST file, so it's good.
2. I keep an annual storage of the current PST files.
3. I keep an archive strategy where year-old emails are moved to an archive PST.
4. Archive PST files moved to NAS and DVD.
5. Using Outlook Rules, I am able to keep the current PST to less than 1GB.
6. I have two PST files, one for work and one for personal.

Thanks very much. I think I will follow your method suitably modified to my specific circumstances.

guitar1969

1. During setup of the account, it will ask you where to save the PST file, so it's good.
2. I keep an annual storage of the current PST files.
3. I keep an archive strategy where year-old emails are moved to an archive PST.
4. Archive PST files moved to NAS and DVD.
5. Using Outlook Rules, I am able to keep the current PST to less than 1GB.
6. I have two PST files, one for work and one for personal.

I am running the preview of Outlook RT and I think the huge pst issue is why there is an additional option on the setup screen for email accounts, where you can choose how long to keep offline messages(1-6 months). I think MS put that in there to overcome the space limitations of the Surface and working with psts, so it must automatically clean it out to keep it small.

I use the the Mail app and Outlook RT and I am normally an Outlook fanboy and couldn't wait to get it on my RT since that is all I use at work. However, once I got it set up, was not that crazy about it because it is not optimized for touch like the Mail app is, since it is still a desktop app. Don't get me wrong, you can pick and select via touch, but its a bit hard because some of the icons and such are small still.

I still find myself using the Mail app when I want a simple interface without all the clutter, which in my mind, is what the SurfaceRT is all about. But if I am doing a lot of work, I will use the Outlook RT client.

hotphil

bit hard because some of the icons and such are small still.
You can make the separation between them bigger by selecting the Touch mode from the bar above the Ribbon if that helps. Also, I pin the Ribbon so it doesn't auto-hide.

I've read lots of articles over the years on the pro's/con's of OST and PST storage. I think the bottom line is you go with whatever combination/archiving/sweeping works for you and your SysAdmin :)

guitar1969

Its not the archiving feature. There is a new setting when you set up an email account where it deletes offline files after a period of time between 1 to 6 months. set up a new email account and you will see the option on the right hand side. Maybe it is new for outlook 2013 in general ( I only have 2010 at work) but I noticed it in Outlook RT.

guitar1969

You can make the separation between them bigger by selecting the Touch mode from the bar above the Ribbon if that helps. Also, I pin the Ribbon so it doesn't auto-hide.

I've read lots of articles over the years on the pro's/con's of OST and PST storage. I think the bottom line is you go with whatever combination/archiving/sweeping works for you and your SysAdmin :)

I have used touch mode since day one. Even in touch mode it is still horrible to navigate in all the Office RT apps.