What's new

Surface RT is being problematic

Brian DaSilva

Hello, my Surface RT has been problematic for a while.

Here are the issues:
When I try to shutdown or restart the surface, it takes forever. <---Forced it to shut down, 8/15/2014
Sometimes, turning on the Surface makes it show the surface logo for a sec and then it shuts down. It attempts to open recovery options sometimes, but fails as the surface shuts down. It successfully turns on after many attempts. <---This issue is occuring right now. (Confirmed 8/15/2014 to be having this issue)
Trouble downloading apps from the windows store, apps just don't download.
Will no longer connect to the internet <---Happened a couple of months ago or so, this issue was only temporary.
Surface doesn't automatically update. <---Occuring right now.

Can anyone help me out? I got the surface back in Christmas 2012, so it is out of warranty.

Last edited:
OP
B

Brian DaSilva

Good news! I got the Surface to successfully turn on and it is connecting to the internet!
EDIT: It also downloads apps from the windows store. Great!

kundas1

is your surface RT a gen 1 or 2? also it sounds like you're having trouble with the SSD drive did you buy this second hand? how is it functioning when in use? is it slow / fast? I know when I had my RT 1 it was fast and quick but had trouble connecting to 2.4 GHz band but the 5 GHz was fast... is it under warranty still from MS if you need to send it in due to faulty SSD?

OP
B

Brian DaSilva

Oh, great. It's dead, Jim!
It was bricked. It's a gen 1.
I was trying to reset it (deleting all personal files) and I already backed up. It was stuck restarting (didn't restart), so I shut off. I tried to turn it back on but with no avail. RIP. BTW it's out of warranty. The surface was fast when it worked.

OP
B

Brian DaSilva

Alright, it's giving a sign of life. It has the issue stated in the OP (Surface logo shows for 1 second or less but shuts off) and it might take a while to get it up and running.

evoqONE

Alright, it's giving a sign of life. It has the issue stated in the OP (Surface logo shows for 1 second or less but shuts off) and it might take a while to get it up and running.

This same issue started with my Surface RT where it power up long enough to show the logo then shows battery status at 1 bar and then goes dark. The charging indicator doesn't light up as well.
Were you able to go fix this issue??

Thanks