What's new

Surface RT

The Pashmeister

Hi all.

Just introducing myself. I've had my RT for about 6 months and it's ok.
My main gripe is the struggle I'm having putting videos from DVD onto my micro SD card.

OP
The Pashmeister

The Pashmeister

Thanks for that. The version of Handbrake I have has a load of alternatives down the right hand side for various tablets (Ipad, Samsung, etc). Could I select one of those?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
If it doesn't list the Surface RT pick something that has similar specs...
16:9 1366 x 768 720P h.264 mp4 acc

Thus the recommendations:
Video (Video Format- .mp4)
Video Codec- H.264
Resolution- 1280*720
Video Bitrate – 1500~2000kbps
Frame Rate – 24fps

Audio
Audio Codec- AAC
Sample Rate- 48khz
Audio Bitrate- 128kbps
Audio Channel- Stereo

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Depending on you source computer there are some other converters that might work better or easier.
http://www.dvdtosurface.com/ mac and windows versions

DVD CATALYST. Windows only.
Handbrake is a good program but not always the easiest to use or configure for optimal file size and quality. One of the forum's supporting vendors is DVDCatalyst and since I own a copy of the VERY inexpensive software I can tell you that the settings that optimize the videos for watching on 16:9 and 16:10 (and other formats) tablets is easy and effective.

DVD Catalyst

Good Luck.

leeshor

I'm a big fan of DVD Catalyst. It has tons of presets and is very easy to use. Handbrake is great but can get pretty obtuse. But as was pointed out it requires Windows.

TeknoBlast

I'm a big fan of DVD Catalyst. It has tons of presets and is very easy to use. Handbrake is great but can get pretty obtuse. But as was pointed out it requires Windows.

Whatever happened to DVD Catalyst. I have it installed on my desktop and I've been able to update them without any issues in the past. So recently, I tried to do an update, but fails. My install still works great, but cant do any updates. Dont remember when I bought it, but it was only 9.99 at the time, so not a big loss.

leeshor

Whatever happened to DVD Catalyst. I have it installed on my desktop and I've been able to update them without any issues in the past. So recently, I tried to do an update, but fails. My install still works great, but cant do any updates. Dont remember when I bought it, but it was only 9.99 at the time, so not a big loss.
That's a good question. It worked the last time I tried but now says it can't connect to the server. I'm going to try to contact Mitch, the owner, and see what's up. You can manually download it and use the download as an upgrade.

TeknoBlast

That's a good question. It worked the last time I tried but now says it can't connect to the server. I'm going to try to contact Mitch, the owner, and see what's up. You can manually download it and use the download as an upgrade.

Also, I think the last time I updated, the title has been changed. I'm not at home to look, but I think it was changed to Video Catalyst or something close to that.

leeshor

Mitch got back to me. He has had several changes in his hosting and it still isn't right. Plus he said 2 versions he released had a broken updater. Sending you a link.