What's new

Surface -> Surface 2 Trade in Program

chrisleung

Hey guys, I was just browsing Reddit and this guy posted saying he called the Microsoft store, who said:

But they said that--for sure--I will not be able to exchange my Surface Pro for a Surface Pro 2 even if the Surface Pro 2 is launched. They did say, however, that they will--for sure--have a trade-in program where I can pay the difference.

Link: Tripped and broke the kickstand on my Surface Pro. I have Microsoft Complete. What should I do? : Surface

If this is true, then that is definitely good on part of MS towards its existing users.

However, I am guessing that most of the non-Microsoft warranty programs will not transfer over, if people decide to trade in.

demandarin

That's big news. Only thing now is how much credit will they give me for my 128gb surface pro that's still basically brand-new. About 3weeks and a few days old.

More details will come out once event is over.

presidentk1

That's big news. Only thing now is how much credit will they give me for my 128gb surface pro that's still basically brand-new. About 3weeks and a few days old.

More details will come out once event is over.

You should go and return yours for a full refund, rather than trade it in at a loss

OP
chrisleung

chrisleung

You should go and return yours for a full refund, rather than trade it in at a loss

You can't. MS has a VERY strict return policy of 14 days. One day over and you're out of luck.

**Edit: As of September 20, 2013 Microsoft's return policy is currently at 30 days (according to their website). Best Buy, Staples is apparently at 15 days for the Surface. Sorry for the error!

Last edited:

Spaniard

If it were true:
1049.gif

If it were false:
tumblr_m26nvnNG5o1qkk10ro1_500.jpg

mtalinm

this would be very smart of them. I thought they were going to stiff us by holding the powercover until late in the year, but if you can do an paid upgrade on the hw tht's awesome

D

Deleted member 10837

Lots of people seem to be exchanging theirs for a brand new unopened one if they have extended warranty then reselling it for ~$700.

gangolfus

This thread is misleading. This is not a trade-up program. This is for MICROSOFT COMPLETE WARRANTY CLAIMS ONLY. If your Surface Pro bites the dust and you make a warranty claim, they will replace your SP with another SP unless you pay an upgrade fee to the SP2.

***IF YOU DO NOT HAVE MICROSOFT COMPLETE YOU CANNOT TRADE IN YOUR SP FOR AN SP2!!***

Reading is hard.

Ruffles

Still, sweet deal though as I have the MS complete warranty and I want to upgrade. I'd much rather exchange it and pay the diff rather than deal with selling it.

demandarin

OK, I just called and got some good info. As far as they know there is no surface trade in program so far. BUT they have a general trade in program anyways. So you can take your surface in and have it evaluated/appraised on value. Then if you like the amount, you get it on a giftcard. Which then can be put towards the new surface. This goes for any surface, whether pro or RT. So that's good. I think they also factor into the value on if device is wiped or not. If they have to go in and erase stuff to free storage, u might get less.

Other good news is in Ipad trade in program. As all the news on it shows ipad2 and up. So even if your Ipad 1st generation doesn't fall under that, you can still trade it in under the regualr trade in program they have. Where they will evaluate its worth. With cosmetic quality of device factoring in big.
She said it'd be better under regular trade in program because the Ipad deal gift cards expire or have to be used by end of October. At least that's what they said. Under regular trade in program, u can use it whenever.

Glad I called. So we have options either way.