What's new

Surfare Pro SFC /scannow

Hello Im new to the Fourms :)

Ive been using my Surface Pro 4 for 2 months now, only got a problem with a display driver issue but it was recovered.

Im here to get help with a Sfc /scannow problem but it cant repair some files, i checked the file in CBS but cant seem to see whats causing the problem. im not sure if i should boot up Windows Media Creation tool to repair my Surface Pro.
i discovered other problems using Processexplorer, The Dnsapi.dll is infected with malware according to Virustotal : https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...a7b0a405239476d6906576a1a75e95f6ecb/analysis/
I also found a driver called: SurfaceStorageFWUpdate.sys driver infected with malware
Virustotal: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...170819b8fe5e6ecf1e4a0a8350fcb0d770c/analysis/

i also use a Standard account for daily tasks, My Admin includes a pin code which is included with Windows 10, not sure if this is secure.. but i think it prevents Keyloggers to see my Admin Password..

WaVeS

I'd say try what Serpico suggested. I'm working on it now.

I think I got it - this is a compiled routine from several forums and boards. I Ran this exactly as listed below and sleep appears to be working properly now (solid for 4 days). I am running SP4 fully patched with latest drivers installed.

This is a rather in depth routine, please follow all the steps in order and don't skip around:

Run the COMMAND PROMPT (ADMIN) and enter:
sfc /scannow

If the report comes back detailing errors/missing/corrupt files then run the more advanced command in the same window:
Dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

If the report comes back with Error code: 0x800f081f then your Surface has missing and corrupt files (having to do with Windows Updates). Run the following to correct:

Step 1: Download the Windows 10 64 Bit ISO from the Tech Bench Upgrade Program using this link (just the 64 bit ISO - nothing else is required): Tech Bench

Step 2: Delete any existing CBS Log file: The path is: "C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log"

Step 3: Mount the downloaded Windows 10 64 Bit ISO file "Win10_1511_English_x64", do not run (auto) setup.exe.

Step 4: Run the DISM command in Command Prompt (Admin):
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:E:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

* Note: Make sure that the source drive letter is correct. In this example above the source of the Mounted ISO is E ("/source:WIM:E:"). Check the file explorer after mounting the ISO for the correct drive letter.

Step 5: Run (again) the COMMAND PROMPT (ADMIN) and enter:
sfc /scannow

If the report comes back detailing errors/missing/corrupt files, REBOOT the SP4. DON'T SKIP THIS - DON'T BE LAZY - THIS REBOOT IS NECESSARY.

AFTER REBOOT:

Step 1: Delete any existing CBS Log file. The path is: "C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log"

Step 2: Mount the downloaded Windows 10 64 Bit ISO file "Win10_1511_English_x64", do not run (auto) setup.exe.

Step 3: Run (again) the DISM command in Command Prompt (Admin):
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:E:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

Step 4: Run (again) the COMMAND PROMPT (ADMIN) and enter:
sfc /scannow

YOU MAY NEED to re-run 1 - 4 above with a restart in-between a couple times to clear all errors.

The work above is a compilation of several authors (not me) ~ I do not take credit nor responsibility. I am simply sharing what worked for me.

InspectHerGadget

The sfc /scannow is not a lot of use for fixing system files. It used to work but I've noticed on a number of computers now it doesn't work. The DISM command likewise I haven't been able to get it to work. It would be good if some guru nailed this.

Search tags for this page

sfc error surface

sfc scannow on surface

surface pro sfc scan now

Members online

No members online now.