What's new

System and compressed memory 32% CPU

Is anyone else seeing the process "System and compressed memory" running 'hot'?

I cam down this morning and on my Surface Book, I noticed it is about 85 degrees on the screen (it is in the clipboard configuration, attached to a dock) and the fans are running HARD

third time I noticed the screen so HOT that I can not really use it for handwriting as it is too hot to put your palm on.

Not sure what System and compressed memory is?

OP
Kevin Cossaboon
seems to be Screen Saver. It just ramped back up and I unlocked it, killed Firefox and it stopped. then it started again, when screen saver started and no Firefox. Just unlocking it stopped it.

I ASSUME there is no way to control this. It can not be good for my Surface Book Screen to go to 80+ Degrees and stay there all night due to some loop?

So much for a screen saver...

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
seems to be Screen Saver. It just ramped back up and I unlocked it, killed Firefox and it stopped. then it started again, when screen saver started and no Firefox. Just unlocking it stopped it.

I ASSUME there is no way to control this. It can not be good for my Surface Book Screen to go to 80+ Degrees and stay there all night due to some loop?

Hmm, sounds like a bug in something... probably more than one.

I'm not sure a screen saver is much help especially if it keeps the machine running all night when it should be sleeping. What exactly is it saving? Even if it keeps it from sleeping for 10-15 minutes, that's 10-15 minutes of lost battery time.

There are known issues with not reaching the lowest power states which might have stopped the screen saver however, it could have been more of a comedy of errors situation as well. The screen saver keeps running generating compressible screen images and the System Compression keeps running along behind compressing the newly generated compressible memory objects. Catch 22.

OP
Kevin Cossaboon

Update, using my Mac and just watching the Surface Book Process list. If I leave it un touched for a few minutes the process goes to 30%+ move the mouse it stops.....

This SUCKS! not only the Power Drain, but like I said the touch screen is way too hot

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess we need to see if anyone else has this problem... although I haven't heard of anyone else *yet*. if you are one of just a few perhaps it's a random error and a RESET will fix it.

BTW how long have you had this device?

OP
Kevin Cossaboon
I'm not sure a screen saver is much help especially if it keeps the machine running all night when it should be sleeping. What exactly is it saving? Even if it keeps it from sleeping for 10-15 minutes, that's 10-15 minutes of lost battery time.

I agree. The Surface Book on a Surface Dock does not have a good recovery record when going to sleep. I might just try that setting since the last up date, but went to this mode as the Surface Book would randomly choose whether to use the external monitor, treat it like the tablet screen (and try to rotate it) or not use the Tablet Screen and only use the External monitor, or Change the resolution of one or both.... and so on.

if you are one of just a few perhaps it's a random error and a RESET will fix it.

BTW how long have you had this device?

'Reset' will erase everything, right? Did that 3 days into the ownership.

Surface Book is 16 days old

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree. The Surface Book on a Surface Dock does not have a good recovery record when going to sleep. I might just try that setting since the last up date, but went to this mode as the Surface Book would randomly choose whether to use the external monitor, treat it like the tablet screen (and try to rotate it) or not use the Tablet Screen and only use the External monitor, or Change the resolution of one or both.... and so on.

'Reset' will erase everything, right? Did that 3 days into the ownership.

Surface Book is 16 days old
Therein lies the *random* factor (aka Windows Roulette) ... it might have been introduced by the first RESET.

I had an issue with my SP3 ... TL;DW Reset it, fixed the original problem, got a new problem. Reset again, all good.

Give it lots of time, don't rush, do all updates, check again, hold off installing anything until it's settled.

Id also consider not syncing any settings from your account or other computers or even doing the initial setup with a local account.

Oliver Bast

Same thing here, this is the worst computer I ever had...
Running on Windows 10.

Attachments

• 2016-02-14_16h55_56.png
    2016-02-14_16h55_56.png
    11 KB · Views: 691

bluegrass

I was surprised that you mentioned screen saver was active. I looked to see how you could turn on a screensaver in Windows 10 and I see you need to go to Themes and advanced to see where you can turn it on. I'm surprised that it is still available since there hasn't been a need for a screensaver since the tube monitors have all but disappeared from the scene of computers. You definitely should turn off the screen saver.