What's new

Taskbar is in the way while using Modern UI Apps

Kif

When I try using Modern UI apps the taskbar stays in the way. For example in IE 11 I can't click the bottom right corner to access my favorites.

upload_2014-8-20_8-59-27.png

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I Haven't a clue were that came from. looks like you strayed into the twilight zone of Surface weirdness. I guess some would call this a *feature* and the stock answer is Refresh. boy I sure hope the come up with some better solutions to these issues... like a whole raft of Reset *this* to defaults buttons on the Get me out of the Twilight Zone Control Panel applet.

leeshor

What options are there if you right click on the taskbar? I think you will find an answer there.

OP
Kif

Kif

I should add I'm pretty sure this issue only occurs while my SP3 is docked.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just curious do you have "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays" checked... I got a few weird things happening with that option selected. Like my desktop icons showed on a different display and once even with some on the left and some in the center.

The fix didn't work for me either, but I fixed it as follows:

In taskbar properties uncheck "Lock the taskbar" and "Show Windows Store apps on the taskbar"
Click OK

It should be fixed now. You can also go back can check both of those and it remains fixed. Time will tell if it remains fixed for good.

Last edited:
OP
Kif

Kif

Thanks, but I hate to loose the ability to show Windows Apps on my taskbar. It sounds like something is broken. :(

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
What you are experiencing Kif is by designed, it was created to render this way for Desktop Users who wanted the Taskbar consistently across the traditional and MUI environments....

malberttoo

I don't have a dock, and I experience this same behavior while in Metro IE. Now, mine is only temporary, doesn't stay around like Kif's seems to. But it annoys the snot out of me, because I move the mouse down there to interact with IE! And for some reason the taskbar wants to jump up out of nowhere and get in the way. I have no idea what's setting it off....

OP
Kif

Kif

What you are experiencing Kif is by designed, it was created to render this way for Desktop Users who wanted the Taskbar consistently across the traditional and MUI environments....

Well that's poor design. One default setting breaks another default setting. So basically Modern UI IE 11 is basically unusable in desktop mode.

Last edited: