What's new

Terrible battery life

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2061...ht-let-you-squeeze-in-another-shark-tank.html
they get those values for time out of it with "the PCMark 7 Productivity Suite and a video (using the VLC player) in 10-minute intervals until the machine poops out."

the SP2 is just sitting there with the screen on, nothing really open, and the screen set to 75%.
The screen will go blank in a few minutes if its doing nothing, you are being evasive. The battery doesn't drain for no reason, nothing is nothing and wont drain the battery.

HAND, I'm out.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
so I uninstalled chrome and let it sit there once the battery hit 100%. I got 3hrs out of it.

We need much more info as your numbers are not normal. My SP2 doing real work in Office 2013 and using IE got 6-7.5 hours on battery, using adaptive brightness and power saver power plan....Lync Calls would reduce my battery life in half....

OP
A

Aaron Pepelis

it goes up and down. at work to day It mostly was about 8% 1.13ghz.
after I removed chrome, my battery life did go up... but basically makes my surface useless as most stuff I do is through chrome.

leeshor

I'm pretty certain that everything y7ou do in Chrome could be done in Firefox and much of it in IE.

GoodBytes

Aaron, did you install Hyper-V by any chance? or any Virtual Machine on your system?

Also,
Your CPU at idle, is supposed to be at 0% usage with a few percentage increase here and there (mostly due to task manager pulling the information costing CPU performance).
If that doesn't happen, then you have something running on the back.

1- Disable all updater that you have. Check task Scheduler, Windows services and startup programs
2- If your Windows is newly installed, then it is normal that your CPU is used, as Windows indexes itself.
3- If you use uTorrent, or have it installed. It was in the news that it includes crapware, which is difficult to remove, and consumes your system resources.

Zkyevolved

Just a thought, why don't you post your applications installed (right click the windows button, program and features) and share those screen captures to see what's installed. Then open the task manager (right click empty space in the bar and click task manager) and share processes (all of them), startup (all of them) and details (all of them). This will let us see what's running. Blackout anything you don't want us to see (namewise).