What's new

The 4k thread to end 4k threads

N-64

Hey guys I spent a lot of time researching the whole 4k deal on the surface and got my questions solved here but it took a while and there where a lot of rumors that I ran across. So I thought of creating a thread where all the right questions and answers could come together under one thread with everybody's help. That way anyone interested can come to this specific thread and hopefully get a lot of their thoughts figured out.

I'll start with some simple questions a person might have. You experts add more as you see fit:

Can I use a 4k monitor with the SP3?

Can I run a 4k monitor on the SP3 at 60hz?

Why Can't I run at 60hz 4k?

What is custom frame rate?

Do I need any special adapters to run 4k?

Does the surface dock enable 60hz 4k output?

Yes,
No. Only up to 51-52 hz per custom refresh rate on Intel graphics control panel
HD 4400 and 5000 don't support 60 Hz 4K
Custom frame rate = custom refresh rate
No. Use a mini-display equipped 4k monitor. To be safe. Look for "displayport 1.2 or higher" on the cable
Surface Dock just adds an extra mini-display port. Same functionality as the built-in display port

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Awe N-64, you got your questions answered here but didn't share the fruits of your research. :(

mtalinm

I'm running a 34" 21:9 ultrawide 4k LG monitor right now and it's beautiful. also a 24" HD on the other DP and a 15: HD via DisplayLink on the USB3.

Cyb3rDud3

I am on the i5/256GB model. I have used both the Intel driver available as of Win 10 release on July 29 and the version that they updated just recently. Again, same exact process I was using on Win 8.1.
How peculiar. I'm on the i5/256GB model as well with the HD4400. I don't have the standard timing box appear and thus can't create a custom resolution. And as you can see from the link above I am not alone.

What monitor do you have? I'm using the Dell 2415Q. And what is the process you were using on Win 8.1

zhenya

How peculiar. I'm on the i5/256GB model as well with the HD4400. I don't have the standard timing box appear and thus can't create a custom resolution. And as you can see from the link above I am not alone.

What monitor do you have? I'm using the Dell 2415Q. And what is the process you were using on Win 8.1

I have the Dell P2715q. I download the zipped drivers from Intel, extract them, then using Device Manager point directly to the .inf file. Then open the Custom Resolutions dialogue just as you are doing.