What's new

The next big thing - from MS or others?

Dim-Ize

Still rocking along on my SP2. I've had the moments of envy - eyeing the SP3, but haven't found the need to upgrade yet.

It seems that the next wave of chips will make a platform swap worthwile to me - from the perspective of performance and pocketbook.

I am among those who enjoy gaming on my SP2. It handles quite a bit of games from Steam very well, IMO. I've been to concerned about heat on the SP3 to make the jump up.

I can't seem to find any reliable data on when the new chips will come out. In earlier press releases Intel execs indicated "By the Holiday [2014] season".

Here are my questions:
  1. Are these chips already making their way into systems that would compete with SP3?
  2. Is MS planning on launching these in Q1 or what?
  3. Will they allow both better battery life + improved gaming (fan-less has me worried)?
I suppose I just need to dig a bit more, but I don't understand the value proposition of Broadwell Fan-Less - as it relates to possible interest of the mobile gaming community. I know that I'm in the minority and maybe that's not at all what the chip is after. Seems like heavy lifting, regardless of the intent of use, would encompass gaming enthusiast such as myself.

My dream machine would be a SP3 - that is lighter, has better battery life, and can handle Stream purchased titles over that of what I have today (meaning higher rez, better frames, and not be the temperature of lava when playing).

malberttoo

Still rocking along on my SP2. I've had the moments of envy - eyeing the SP3, but haven't found the need to upgrade yet.

It seems that the next wave of chips will make a platform swap worthwile to me - from the perspective of performance and pocketbook.

I am among those who enjoy gaming on my SP2. It handles quite a bit of games from Steam very well, IMO. I've been to concerned about heat on the SP3 to make the jump up.

I can't seem to find any reliable data on when the new chips will come out. In earlier press releases Intel execs indicated "By the Holiday [2014] season".

Here are my questions:
  1. Are these chips already making their way into systems that would compete with SP3?
  2. Is MS planning on launching these in Q1 or what?
  3. Will they allow both better battery life + improved gaming (fan-less has me worried)?
I suppose I just need to dig a bit more, but I don't understand the value proposition of Broadwell Fan-Less - as it relates to possible interest of the mobile gaming community. I know that I'm in the minority and maybe that's not at all what the chip is after. Seems like heavy lifting, regardless of the intent of use, would encompass gaming enthusiast such as myself.

My dream machine would be a SP3 - that is lighter, has better battery life, and can handle Stream purchased titles over that of what I have today (meaning higher rez, better frames, and not be the temperature of lava when playing).

Those in the know have said that the next Surface Pro, whether it be SP3 refresh or SP4, will be out in mid 2015 or 3rd quarter, and will have the new Intel processor.

CrippsCorner

I'm sure it'll come out to show off Windows 10 :)

Still loving my original Surface Pro though, and no plans to upgrade yet!