What's new

The "Official" I got my Surface 3 thread

kodos

Setting up my wife's now - we got it yesterday. This is her first Windows machine since XP, and she's learning her way around the device. After being in OS X and iOS for so long it is a bit of learning curve coming back to Windows.

But I never thought my SP3 would feel huge, but it does after using the S3. I love the form factor on this thing. It's wonderful. And super quiet. Wish it had the magnetic charger. I have to remember to not just nudge it off the charger port, but deliberately remove it.

I am not a fan of the relocated volume controls. I cannot "by feel" figure out if the button is power or volume :). Minor issue.

Other than that, love this. The keyboard and trackpad are fantastic! Surprised it doesn't get more love in the reviews. I don't know Microsoft did it, but they made the first type-cover that feels better than most laptops you can buy and very favorable to a Macbook.

Cannot wait to see what they unveil for SP4!

eljoe

Picked up mine yesterday at a Best Buy (i had pre-ordered it to be sure to get it on day 1, since i would be leaving the USA on may 6th) and i just bought the pen and keyboard at a Microsoft Store in King of Prussia "mini-store". BTW, the guy at the booth was so confused i was on may 5th at 11am buying a pen and a keyboard but not the tablet itself! :).

I agree that the new aspect ratio is better. The screen quality is excellent and the size is the biggest i would like (that's why i never consider de SP Pro besides pricing) and the right size to be a "tablet" where you can actually do stuff on the go. Though i like smaller screens, it is true that would turn it more into a consumption device.

As a previous Surface 2 user, i really like this device. I loved the RT being "virus free" and the closed ecosystem, but i was also suffering the lack of apps. Just having the chance to now install Firefox on my S3 convinced me i needed Windows "full". Or that i can now try preview software like Office 2016. I just expected to have a switch that only allow store installations (win32 and modern apps). But maybe that is gonna happen with the new store in Win 10 (not sure, just hoping).

I m gonna be using it as a companion device, so only running light apps. Thus, i bought the 2GB version. The only "heavy" app i would love to be able to use is Visual Studio for casual programming (will try later). Thank god they dropped that impossible to fit charger for a simple mini USB one. It fitted ok on my device. A really small gap, but a non issue to me. After installing all windows updates, firefox and Office 2016 i got 32GB free disk space. Memory usage is between 1 and 1.3GB out of 2GB with only Firefox running, so that is going to be a limitation i think for multitasking. On the performance side i can only say that Firefox and Office 2016 works perfectly smooth. I don't like how Firefox webpages scroll (not too smooth), but i think it might be a limitation of an app that was not designed to be touch.

First impressions are really good. Size, weight and device quality are really good, though i still think not iPad quality (i mean regarding hardware and how it "feels" on the hands, which of course is a very subjective opinion. It is obvious that i much prefer the Surface over the ipad because of the overall package -size, performance, build quality and mostly the things i can do with it). On the accessories side, I am a little concern about the tip of my surface pen, since it seems to be a little loose, but i don't know if it is normal.

Last edited:

mtalinm

Left my Surface Pro 3 home today and took the Surface 3 to work. Only downsides were

* will drive only one HD external monitor, so I can't use the 34" 4k monitor + HD monitor setup I usually have
* a little slow compared to SP3, though really not a humongous difference

That's about it. This could pretty much be my daily driver except for the external monitor issue ... which I suppose I could solve for with a USB hub that has a graphics card.

Btw, whatever they did with the S3 keyboard is a big step up from SP3. The key action is much much better.

Oldmangreybush

I got mine on launch day at best buy. I bought the 4GB/128GB version as I wanted this to be my daily driver. I traded in my S2 and have to say that I am really loving it so far. The only complaint I have is it doesn't turn on when I open the type cover. I do like the type cover but I prefer my old touch cover on the S2, call me weird but I liked how thin and light it was. Look forward to using my S3 for work and school!!!

mva5580

Got a 4gb/128gb via the Costco deal yesterday. I'm liking it so far, we'll see how consistent use goes. The form factor is great; it really does feel like having a full PC in the size of an iPad and frankly I prefer a little extra weight; at some point these tablets are getting too light.

It definitely runs a little slower than a SP....but it should considering the processor and I'm not disappointed in it or anything. I tried Baldurs Gate 2, Hearthstone, and Civilization IV and the performance seemed like it will work out ok for me. Civ IV late game could be problematic but I tend to think I will just make a smaller map/game than I would on a more capable PC. Hearthstone has a bit of lag but I'm fine with it. I wanted to try SimCity 3000 yesterday but didn't get around to installing it and after viewing the other games, I think it will work fine. I may even try SC4.

Overall, a positive first day.

mogulman

Got my Surface 3 4GB/128GB on Tues 5/5. Really like it so far. I was hoping I would be able to use it more in Portrait mode than my previous Asus T100, because the Surface 3 is 3:2 screen. A lot of Metro apps are landscape though, with no option for Portrait. The browser still looks a little funky in Portrait too. I'll have to see.

I've noticed a few things so far:
  • Battery life isn't quite as long as my T100, but it's ok.
  • Hibernate. I wasn't used to this on the T100, but I guess it saves battery life.
  • I've had a few issues in the Windows Store, where I couldn't select things. Closing it completely and restarting seems to have fixed it.
  • I put in a 64GB MicroSD today and formatted it (it was from my T100 so wanted to clean it up). File History wasn't working from the Metro File History settings. I went into Control Panel, File History, and it said something about my system being restored from d:. I don't think that is something I did. I wonder if that is part of the process to get the original Surface 3 image? I cancelled the restore and then File History worked. Anyone else confirm this from their File History/Control Panel (not Metro)?
  • I am using a Logitech K400 USB Keyboard/touchpad device if I need a keyboard right now. I didn't use the keyboard on my Asus T100 that much. Only when I needed to use office on it (instead of my laptop). So not sure if I will get the type cover. On the fence about the type cover and the Pen. Pen seems cool. Not sure if I will use it. Where would I put it so it doesn't get in the way without the type cover.
  • My Asus T100 bag fits the Surface fine.
  • Do I need a Screen Protector for the Surface? MS sells one, but I don't really want it?
  • Can I purchase the MS Complete Warranty online after I have already bought the surface or do I need to bring it to a store? Is it worth it? I hate talking to MS telephone support. (Update), found out that I can order it online, but not sure if its worth it. I have Visa warranty protection which doubles the warranty already, but no water/drop protection.
That's about it.. Really liking the surface so far.

Last edited:

mtalinm

I got mine on launch day at best buy. I bought the 4GB/128GB version as I wanted this to be my daily driver. I traded in my S2 and have to say that I am really loving it so far. The only complaint I have is it doesn't turn on when I open the type cover. I do like the type cover but I prefer my old touch cover on the S2, call me weird but I liked how thin and light it was. Look forward to using my S3 for work and school!!!

the touch cover will fit pretty closely if you want to keep using it.

mtalinm

another happy discovery is that when the keyboard is attached magnetically to the bottom of the screen, it seems more rigid and less flexy than the surface pro 3 equivalent.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
another happy discovery is that when the keyboard is attached magnetically to the bottom of the screen, it seems more rigid and less flexy than the surface pro 3 equivalent.
Yep, that is one of the improvements that the Surface Team made to the keyboard, the also updated the key mechanism to make it quieter....

mtalinm

Yep, that is one of the improvements that the Surface Team made to the keyboard, the also updated the key mechanism to make it quieter....

Thank you. this keyboard is much better than SP3. I doubt they'll reissue the SP3 type cover, but I would buy again.

Stockholmstar

Is the trackpad supposed to feel loose on the S3 type cover? When I touch-click, the trackpad responds with a rattling and clicking sound. This happens prior to being pressed all the way down till the "real" click. I have an SP3 touch cover as well, and that does not not behave in this manner. A touch-click only produces results on the screen. No sound from the pad.
I'm going to take it back to the store on Monday.
Other than that, I love the S3! It will probably replace the already fantastic SP3!