What's new

How I Got More Bang-for-the-Buck out of Surface 3

stufried

As an attorney who bills by the hour, I can tell you that machine has paid for itself. Are there days I wish I had a Surface 4 Pro i7 with a terabyte, 16 gigs of ram? Absolutely! The machine, however, ways no more than iPad and can be both my entertainment when I am not under the gun and a lifesaver when I am. Before this, I took an iPad and only carried the notebook when I knew I might need it. The problem is that life doesn't always cooperate with me that way. I'll go to court expecting to be out in an hour and something will happen that puts me on hold. At that point, I can go and get work done.

People say that the weight differential isn't that great between the two devices. They'll also say that the size difference (when packed) isn't large, but will then say when it is set up the difference is 'enormous." What they don't factor in is a separate power brick, a separate hotspot, etc. My Surface 3 doesn't take much space and I take it pretty much everywhere. So, if you are talking to me, yes I am getting my money's worth.

As we see from these posts...we are all nuts to a degree...this is a very overpriced machine!! That being said, I do find it valuable to have thee machines in one, even if that lapstore is lacking and not worth its salt...however my docking station costs $98, monitor $70 and keyboard $16

I could never, would never, use my S3 as an every day pc. I do a lot of photo editing and I'm worried the S3 will crash mid edit. However, once posted, I can access the photos via Google drive without problems. They even display as they should.

stufried

It really depends on what your main applications are. It should never be your only computer. You should figure out what your main applications and usage are, create a spec sheet and go from there. Samsung is in the process of releasing a new Surface competitor with a Core-M and global LTE that you might want to think about as well.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It really depends on what your main applications are. It should never be your only computer. You should figure out what your main applications and usage are, create a spec sheet and go from there. Samsung is in the process of releasing a new Surface competitor with a Core-M and global LTE that you might want to think about as well.
IDK, some use a phone as their only computer and this will do a whole lot of things a phone never will.