What's new

The update is here (UK)!

jrapdx

I got my SP2 in early January and it is a 4300u so it wasn't affected by the bad firmware and I got the update almost as soon as it was reported in the UK this evening.

Interesting...

The "wave theory" again. Though where it shows up is more patchy (no pun intended) than wave-like.

More importantly, does the update seem to do anything, good, bad or ugly?

MickeyLittle

Interesting...

The "wave theory" again. Though where it shows up is more patchy (no pun intended) than wave-like.

More importantly, does the update seem to do anything, good, bad or ugly?

I wasn't having any issues and was only hoping for longer battery life. It is way too early to tell but I do feel like it is better on this "1 cycle" so far! I hate to even mention that since there is such a little sample, but tonight it has definitely held it's charge better than it normally has.

mennogreg

If I ever hear the question on Jeopardy, the one thing Mississippi and the UK have in common, at least now I know what the answer is.

fonzman78

Attachments

• Jan 16 Updates.jpg
    Jan 16 Updates.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 1,114

mennogreg

Judging from that image, those updates are the Super Patch Tuesday Windows updates Microsoft rolls out every month. Those are general Windows fixes, and not specific to the Surface.

fonzman78

Judging from that image, those updates are the Super Patch Tuesday Windows updates Microsoft rolls out every month. Those are general Windows fixes, and not specific to the Surface.

Thanks for the clarification. I can feel good about rebooting now. :)

jrapdx

I wasn't having any issues and was only hoping for longer battery life. It is way too early to tell but I do feel like it is better on this "1 cycle" so far! I hate to even mention that since there is such a little sample, but tonight it has definitely held it's charge better than it normally has.

"Battery life" is always hard to determine, as conditions tend to vary among discharge cycles. Variability notwithstanding I'm curious about what you are observing re: your old and new SP2.

The original SP2 I had, even after the 12-10 FW messup, still did pretty well, with 9, maybe 10 hours seeming to be typical. When I was running a more demanding mix of apps and services, run-times were indeed shorter.

Now I have the replacement (4300u) SP2 for all of 3 days, so not yet a lengthy track record. However, yesterday the computer ran for ~ 11 hr from full charge to 9% remaining. There were some idle periods, so absolutely nothing systematic or reliable about the result. Even so, considering the SP2's computing power, that result is not too shabby. I'll have to see how it holds up in the weeks ahead.

roteweste

Got the update this morning. So my main issues where that the battery indicator didnt work at all and the battery heavely decreased. Both of this issues seems to be fixed. About the current runtime of the battery compared to the pre december update i cant tell mich, unless i make a battery report after a few rundowns. So far it seems good.

OP
C

CreativeLemming

Still have problems after the firmware update, specifically the 'lost battery capacity' issue (looked fine until I performed a reboot, at which point it dropped from 42K to 37K). Verified also with powercfg:

Screenshot (3).png

On the plus side, didn't notice any sleep or battery drain issues overnight which is certainly better. However, definitely not a full fix for me :-(

Edit: While the update definitely updated something FW related (as indicated by the boot screen after updating), device manager still reports that the old UEFI is present (same applies to all other firmware resources). Not sure that's relevant, but odd nonetheless. Maybe the update itself has been broken up and released in waves ;-)

Screenshot (4).png

Last edited:

Ceepeebee

Guys

Sorry to be ignorant, but what is this firmware expected to bring to the table?

I'm looking for notes and I can't find them.

Cheers

OP
C

CreativeLemming

Guys

Sorry to be ignorant, but what is this firmware expected to bring to the table?

I'm looking for notes and I can't find them.

Cheers

We're all hoping that it's at least a fix for the botched December update that many of us were hit with (causing sleep issues, battery capacity issues, etc..), although to me it seems to be a false start.

The details would usually be posted on Microsoft's site here: Microsoft Surface Pro 2 update history | Surface firmware updates although no details have arrived so far.

roteweste

Ok screw me. I still have a signitivcant battery drain too. About 5 hours on medium usage. I think the runtime has increased, but its still far from the "old" one.