What's new

Think I'm about to get a Surface RT, what's the diffirence between that and the 2

CrippsCorner

That's true, isn't it the case that the iPad 3 was only on sale for around 6 months before it was taken off the market?

Meterman

Biggest thing for me when I was looking for a RT Device, the 2 has a 1920x1080 resolution. So if I did load it up with movies, I would have a better experience than my Retina iPad (3rd gen).

And yes, the 3rd Gen iPad was underpowered, runs hot, and the battery didn't hold out as long. (and only lasted 6-7 months before being revved to the 4th Gen)

Windows 8.1 (and with 8.1 u1 almost here) is seriously making me consider ditching the iPad and getting a Surface2 for media consumption.

mbriggs

I also own both the original Surface RT and the new Surface 2 tablets. And to be perfectly honest, I cannot tolerate the lag with the original Surface RT tablet. Just while performing typical tasks, like web surfing or email. I mean, you can get used to it and it seems ok. But it is noticeably slower than it should be. Now that improved some with Windows 8.1. Some. But in my opinion, the new Surface 2 tablet makes strong strides in fixing all of the lag issues with the original Surface RT. While not perfect, it is faster and makes for a pleasant experience.

kristalsoldier

I also own both the original Surface RT and the new Surface 2 tablets. And to be perfectly honest, I cannot tolerate the lag with the original Surface RT tablet. Just while performing typical tasks, like web surfing or email. I mean, you can get used to it and it seems ok. But it is noticeably slower than it should be. Now that improved some with Windows 8.1. Some. But in my opinion, the new Surface 2 tablet makes strong strides in fixing all of the lag issues with the original Surface RT. While not perfect, it is faster and makes for a pleasant experience.

I agree. I had two problems with the original RT - (1) the kickstand - I found it too uncomfortable. The revision in Surface 2 made a lot - and I mean a lot of difference! It is now a comfortable device to use. Having said that, the person who now uses that device has no problems with the angle of the kickstand - but then again, she is quite a bit shorter than me!!! (2) the second thing was the lag. Again, having said that I think 8.1RT made a lot of difference, but comparatively, the Surface 2 is much faster and smoother and for someone like me who uses the device for about 8-9 hours a day on an average, it is near-perfect.

My only gripe about the Surface RT devices is that I can't use some software on it - actually, only one - I would like to use a good reference software (a la Zotero etc.), which I can't. What would have made the Surface 2 a perfect device for me would have been an inking capability like the Pro devices.

But yes, Surface 2 is qualitatively better - at least according to me - than the original RT.

I, personally, need what the RT will do (the Surface 2 would be better, but I already own the RT). I need to be able to work in Microsoft Office, I need the functionality of a USB and I need to be able to print from my device easily. If you don't need those things, free is always a factor, go with the free iPad.

If you need the things that the Surface RT or two offers, I'd be inclined to get the Surface 2. I like the availability of the backlit keyboard and that little bit of extra speed would actually be helpful. Since I already have the RT, I'm keeping it, but when it's time to replace it I feel pretty confident it will be with whatever version of a Surface is out then, especially if they get one with a GPS. I'm not saying cost will be no object, but I'm willing to pay a reasonable price for what I want.