What's new

This for a Surface Pro would be amazing

kozak79

http://www.dell.com/content/product...c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&sku=452-BBRG&redirect=1

It would make the Surface Pro not just a laptop replacement, but a desktop replacement.
alienware-graphics-amplifier-front-angle-open-1500x1000.jpg

It uses a PCI-Express cable connection to an Alienware laptop, letting you use any video card you want, notably the Nvidia flagship Geforce GTX 980.

young blade

Yes but this device would boost the graphic performance.. Good for gaming, Video editing etc.. wish they would make a USB 3.0 version..

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes but this device would boost the graphic performance.. Good for gaming, Video editing etc.. wish they would make a USB 3.0 version..
USB 3.0 even 3.1 or Thunderbolt don't have the bandwidth to provide much more than mediocre performance. You'll only get a friction of the GPU performance unless you have the Full PCIe connection.

The first thing that would happen is people will COMPLAIN they are only getting 40% of the performance from their expensive external GPU solution and how crappy it is. For MSI and others they can say bla bla its better than the integrated but if MS made something like this it would be a public relations disaster and all the Negative Nellies/Media Pundits would derided it unmercifully because its LESS than 100%.

Exposing the PCIe bus directly presents too many risks, it wont happen. Maybe when USB Next+ comes out ... with 50-100mbps bandwidth. However by then NVIDIA will have perfected the 1024 core mobile GPU that's no bigger than the head od a pin, runs on 3mw of power using photonics and has a fiber optic interface. :)

Patience.

bluegrass

I need more than a gpu to replace my desktop.

You actually only need an SP3 and a Microsoft docking station to give you a great desktop replacement. It's a welcome growing trend here at LHM where I work. I feel I had something to do with the trend, having used my SP3 here at work to supplement my company computer. I'm constantly multitasking at my desk between 3 or 4 computers.