What's new

Thoughts on sticker like back protectors.. heat and glue versus magcase.

Profoxcg

I am considering getting a skin to put on the back of my SP. However I noticed the device gets warm/hot at times.
I have some concerns regarding heat dissipation and if the skin or any adhesive items placed on the back of surface will damage the mg finish overtime as a result of heat - meaning it would just melt more and evenluatty create a mess upon removal and even lift the paint.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

tonyz3

Well, I am not concerned with the heat issue, IE fans and vents to take car of that. I have the brushed metal full body skin from Stickerboy. Minus the bezel skin. But the heat is not any different than before the application. Now the second part of your quest. The skin seemed very strong when I applied it. I def think it may damage the pro if removed. So I would only get it if you don't plan on removing it. I even got the skin on the felt type cover which under a lot of use for the past few weeks hasn't moved at all. This all being said I love the skin application and still recommend it.

machistmo

Well, I am not concerned with the heat issue, IE fans and vents to take car of that. I have the brushed metal full body skin from Stickerboy. Minus the bezel skin. But the heat is not any different than before the application. Now the second part of your quest. The skin seemed very strong when I applied it. I def think it may damage the pro if removed. So I would only get it if you don't plan on removing it. I even got the skin on the felt type cover which under a lot of use for the past few weeks hasn't moved at all. This all being said I love the skin application and still recommend it.

is it me or does the stickerboy.net website need work? How could you have decided on a Surface Pro skin when all they give you is a tiny little graphic with 15 options in a 2 inch square?

This site has the idea:

Microsoft Surface Pro Skins | DecalGirl

*note: The above website states that their decal offer easy removal.
DecalGirl skins are removable digitally printed artwork on adhesive-backed conformable cast vinyl
Unique, removable adhesive means no air bubbles when installed & no nasty goo when removed
Clear-coated in a gloss or matte finish to protect the artwork & and your device from minor scratches/abuse
Our skins are thin enough to work with most third-party cases and accessor

Last edited:

tonyz3

lol true, their site actually use to look like decals, you tap one of those boxes and it would pull up a bigger pix, no longer does that, but because I had used them in the past I knew their quality was top notch. you could also tap on one of the iphone skin sections and make your way thru and you can get close ups of the skins. But the site still needs work.

bertopl

I've removed an xoskin to put on a stickerboy skin and although like you said, the adhesive is pretty strong, if you are slow and careful about it, mine came off without any damage.