What's new

Thoughts on Surface Mini?

demandarin

So tegra4 is more powerful than bay trail atom CPU? I never knew that. But based on vids of surface2 in action , that thing is a screamer performance wise. No slowdown or lag at all. Then it should be able to push any game in win8 store with no problems.

CrippsCorner

Whilst in theory the Surface Mini sounds great... for me I don't think it would be ideal. I've pretty much decided to stick to using the Type Cover as my main keyboard, I don't find it bad at all really. If similar was made for the Mini, well it's just going to be too small isn't it. Although, I guess now with that wireless broadcaster it wouldn't be so bad (apart from when using it as an actual cover)

TeknoBlast

Man, I would totally purchase a sub-10" Surface tablet. I wouldn't want a KB with since I figured it would be way too small. However a nice wraparound cover would be nice.

Oh yeah, definitely would have to be RT, not full Windows, but that's just me.

Last edited:

oion

I'm still not convinced that a mini Surface would be competitive in its purported niche because the whole point of the extant Surface line is productivity+entertainment. A mini would compete primarily--if not purely--in the entertainment consumption niche against heavyweights like iPad mini and Kindle Fire; how can it be productive too, with Windows RT? The desktop mode would be useless (or "more useless" than 10-inch Surfaces as critics would say).

Moreover, Windows RT is bundled with Office RT; that's part of the package deal right now. It would not be a good idea for MS to continue bundling the two if WinRT is considered for a mini Surface because Office RT takes up disk space and that type of productivity is going to be minimal in that small a form factor. It doesn't matter if a few people like jnjroach :)p) think that's great and compare to the OQO, because the vast majority of users, I'd expect, get mini tablets for pure consumption. WinRT+OfficeRT would be an awkward paradox here.

As I suggested elsewhere, I think if MS went down this line, they should unbundle Office RT from WinRT--not in terms of license but in installation. Fortunately, it seems other OEMs are removing RT devices from their lineups, which I think frees MS to easily mess with their own licensing without worrying about a break in 3rd party device generations (like gen 1 having Office RT bundled and gen 2 not). So I think a better idea is to keep the license bundled but leave Office RT apps available in the WinRT/8 app store instead, and users can install which ones they want. Even though I much prefer being able to turn on my Surface device and having Office instantly available there.

As a skeptic, what would get me to consider a mini Surface? First of all, I do not consume much entertainment compared to most people. I don't have a television, no Netflix or Hulu account; I do stream Amazon Prime, but that's it. Most of my reading are peer reviewed studies in PDF, not NYT best-sellers from Amazon/B&N. Occasional Youtube only when I'm looking for something specific. I play certain PC games both single-player and MMO for entertainment, but that's strictly on my desktop. In the mobile device space, what interests me right now is a Sony Xperia Z Ultra, which is a 6.4" phablet. If a Surface mini had 3G/4G+ cell calling support (thanks to Nokia) and an awesome pen-based handwriting experience that synced seamlessly with existing Surfaces, that'd make me look--basically a clone of some kind to the XZU. ;)

But the more cogent question is then: What would get iPad Mini and Kindle Fire users to consider a Surface mini?

Remember this. Surface RT created a new space where there was none--iPad and Android tablets absolutely cannot compete on the productivity front so long as MS Office RT remains the killer app for Surface RT. Likewise, Surface Pro brought a new minimalist form factor to the ultrabook-tablet hybrid space where there was minimal competition, if any. Unless MS did some truly wicked engineering with unique features while keeping the price point down (the only reason why I haven't bought an XZU is because it's over $700 and I'd rather have a Surface 2 at that price), they simply cannot compete in the pure consumption mini device space. I mean, people still complain about the app store, and that purported weakness would be highlighted even more in a mini form factor.

TeknoBlast

Let me say this, I currently own an Acer W3, which is a 8.1" Windows tablet, not Windows RT, but full Windows with Office, which Office was included. Is the Acer too small for Office? Yeah it is, but it's nice to have and it's nice to know it's there for those "just in case" moments.

As for the Desktop, again, it's there, I hardly use it, but it's nice to have. Desktop doesn't have to be removed in my opinion. If one doesn't like Desktop mode, then just don't use it, easy as that. Remove the tile from the Start screen and there you go. Yeah yeah, I know, when Office is used, it goes automatically to Desktop mode. Really, is it that much of a hassle, I think not.

As for Office being included, it's been announced since before the launch of the Surface devices that Office will be included on any RT device and any tablet that's sub-10, even sub-10" tablets that have both RT and full Windows.

OP
quadtronix

quadtronix

I agree with what a lot of people say, a 7 or 8" Surface mini would not really be the best for productivity... on the other hand picture this: all Microsoft would have to do is include a micro HDMI port and a USB port or two for a keyboard and mouse (or bluetooth) and you could hook up the mini to a big screen monitor whenever you want to get work done... If they did do that I would probably use it that way whenever at home. Better yet, they could just make a docking station! Like on the Pro and Pro 2. I can't speak for anyone but myself but I would buy it! If it had those capabilities I would even get a monitor and keyboard just for my Surface mini because it'd be more productivity effective than any other tablet I have ever owned (besides my RT of course) and IMO would practically be a full fledged desktop computer. In fact in some ways it would even be more productivity effective than my RT because it would be more portable and that would lead to more use cases outside of the house or office. That's just my opinion though. But I could see MS selling alot of Surface minis if it came with those capabilities (which it most likely would).

OP
quadtronix

quadtronix

Yes, I was a the launch. I played with both as well as the new Blades

That's awesome! :)

I see you said the new tablet is fast.. so hows the screen? I never thought screen resolution mattered that much till the HD tablets and phones started coming out. While the screen on the original Surface is adequate IMO, it could be better too.

By Blades, do you mean the Razer laptops? If so, how are those? And have you ever used the Edge tablet? :D

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That's awesome! :)

I see you said the new tablet is fast.. so hows the screen? I never thought screen resolution mattered that much till the HD tablets and phones started coming out. While the screen on the original Surface is adequate IMO, it could be better too.

By Blades, do you mean the Razer laptops? If so, how are those? And have you ever used the Edge tablet? :D

Both screens are brighter and the color is much more accurate, 46% better according to Microsoft. Blades are what MS calls the Touch and Type Covers and the Remix Blade.

oion

Let me say this, I currently own an Acer W3, which is a 8.1" Windows tablet, not Windows RT, but full Windows with Office, which Office was included. Is the Acer too small for Office? Yeah it is, but it's nice to have and it's nice to know it's there for those "just in case" moments.

As for the Desktop, again, it's there, I hardly use it, but it's nice to have. Desktop doesn't have to be removed in my opinion. If one doesn't like Desktop mode, then just don't use it, easy as that. Remove the tile from the Start screen and there you go. Yeah yeah, I know, when Office is used, it goes automatically to Desktop mode. Really, is it that much of a hassle, I think not.

As for Office being included, it's been announced since before the launch of the Surface devices that Office will be included on any RT device and any tablet that's sub-10, even sub-10" tablets that have both RT and full Windows.

Having a bundled license with software that's preinstalled or optionally downloaded are different things, though, and it would still make more sense not to preinstall on that small a form factor. I would bet that for most people looking at mini devices, who are more interested in consumption, OffRT would count as OEM bloatware. You missed the critical point of my post, though:

But the more cogent question is then: What would get iPad Mini and Kindle Fire users to consider a Surface mini?

Remember this. Surface RT created a new space where there was none--iPad and Android tablets absolutely cannot compete on the productivity front so long as MS Office RT remains the killer app for Surface RT. Likewise, Surface Pro brought a new minimalist form factor to the ultrabook-tablet hybrid space where there was minimal competition, if any. Unless MS did some truly wicked engineering with unique features while keeping the price point down (the only reason why I haven't bought an XZU is because it's over $700 and I'd rather have a Surface 2 at that price), they simply cannot compete in the pure consumption mini device space. I mean, people still complain about the app store, and that purported weakness would be highlighted even more in a mini form factor.

My point is that you can switch iPad/laptop users to current Surfaces precisely because Surfaces now fill a niche previously unoccupied, as consolidating devices. But a mini, where consumers are interested in consuming, would have to fight with two existing heavyweights.

I agree with what a lot of people say, a 7 or 8" Surface mini would not really be the best for productivity... on the other hand picture this: all Microsoft would have to do is include a micro HDMI port and a USB port or two for a keyboard and mouse (or bluetooth) and you could hook up the mini to a big screen monitor whenever you want to get work done... If they did do that I would probably use it that way whenever at home. Better yet, they could just make a docking station! Like on the Pro and Pro 2. I can't speak for anyone but myself but I would buy it! If it had those capabilities I would even get a monitor and keyboard just for my Surface mini because it'd be more productivity effective than any other tablet I have ever owned (besides my RT of course) and IMO would practically be a full fledged desktop computer. In fact in some ways it would even be more productivity effective than my RT because it would be more portable and that would lead to more use cases outside of the house or office. That's just my opinion though. But I could see MS selling alot of Surface minis if it came with those capabilities (which it most likely would).

So you support cannibalization from Surface RT and Pro for a mini. There are two business perspectives on this: Apple doesn't worry about cross-cannibalization because they have significant volume. MS does not have any significant volume. MS is trying to get new market for both extant devices and did create new niches, though they were poorly marketed in v1; like I said above, which was not addressed by anyone yet, exactly how does MS break into an existing market with a mini? Surface RT serves a different target market than Pro, though there is overlap. If you suggest a mini version should do/have the same things as Surface RT/Pro, then cannibalization would happen, but a mini must be priced lower than those two as well. How exactly does that help MS in the Surface line, in the broad scheme of things?

That some existing Surface users would buy a mini is irrelevant in the big picture; MS has to compete against Apple and Google now and will have an even harder uphill climb with a mini. How would they do it? Is cannibalizing RT/Pro a good idea?