What's new

To PRO owners who are stuck on the UEFI settings screen and can't boot. FYI

jomon

I can confirm now that my issue is due to a drive failure.

I managed to "tricked" my bricked surface pro into booting into a recovery USB flash drive that I created from my Win 8 desktop. To boot to usb, press and hold the volume down button and release as soon as you see the Surface logo displayed on the screen. What I did was wait until the loading animation starts (the spinning circle appears) and remove the USB drive. After a couple minutes, a screen appears asking you to select a keyboard layout. After you make a selection, the diagnostics menu appear and from this menu, you have the option of running a refresh, reset, auto repair, command prompt, etc. I can confirm that my PRO is bricked due to a drive failure because when I attempted to do a refresh or reset, it said it could not access the primary partition. I went to the command prompt and sure enough, the c-drive or main partition is missing. Anyway, MS is shipping me a replacement which should arrive soon. What's worrying though is the number of users I've found online who reported the same issue with their PRO :-(

Kiwibru

Golly, what a grizzly story! Hope it doesn't become a mass failure in thousands of additional SSD units...I better boot my Pro...

Cike

I don't have another Win 8 PC, but I created a bootable USB from a Windows 7 system. Unfortunately, I don't get any different behavior when I start by holding down the volume button. It boots right into the security boot screen.

Search tags for this page
surface pro 2 boots to uefi
surface pro 2 stuck in uefi
surface pro bricked
surface pro stuck at surface logo
surface pro stuck at uefi

surface pro stuck in uefi

surface pro stuck on surface screen
surface pro stuck on uefi screen
surface pro stuck uefi

surface pro uefi

Members online