What's new

Type Cover doesn't make SP2 sleep anymore

Bunny_fluff

I bought my Surface Pro 2 about a month ago and everything has worked swimmingly so far but yesterday i noticed that when i close the type cover it no longer puts the Surface to sleep though it did when i first got it. It just stays up with the display on unless i press the power button at the top. I checked in the power options window and all the settings for closing the lid are set to "Sleep". Not sure if it's an issue with the device, user error, or faulty Type Cover. And yes, i have tried detaching it and reattaching it.

MickeyLittle

I bought my Surface Pro 2 about a month ago and everything has worked swimmingly so far but yesterday i noticed that when i close the type cover it no longer puts the Surface to sleep though it did when i first got it. It just stays up with the display on unless i press the power button at the top. I checked in the power options window and all the settings for closing the lid are set to "Sleep". Not sure if it's an issue with the device, user error, or faulty Type Cover. And yes, i have tried detaching it and reattaching it.

When was the last time that you did a power-shutdown and let the Surface totally power off for 15-30 seconds before pressing the power button to restart it? Might help as we need to remember that although this is a tablet this is also windows and sometimes it just needs to be rebooted or maybe even shut down and restarted.

OP
B

Bunny_fluff

Unfortunately that didn't work. I did a restart and then shut it down completely and restarted and both were a no-go.

MickeyLittle

Unfortunately that didn't work. I did a restart and then shut it down completely and restarted and both were a no-go.

Bummer... You haven't put a heavy screen protector on have you? It maybe possible that some of the thicker screen protectors might interfere with this feature.

OP
B

Bunny_fluff

Nope, no screen protector or anything. Nothing has changed on the machine as far as i know between when it used to work and now.

MickeyLittle

It's a little bit of a pain because of legacy programs that have to be reinstalled but I suggest doing a system refresh. Not a restore that wipes everything clean but a refresh. You won't lose and Metro apps or Metro app data but any regular windows programs like Chrome, Office 2013, etc will have to be installed again.

But you can do the refresh and before you put things back on you can see if it is working again and maybe you'll be able to figure out what is causing your issue.

CrippsCorner

It's a little bit of a pain because of legacy programs that have to be reinstalled but I suggest doing a system refresh. Not a restore that wipes everything clean but a refresh. You won't lose and Metro apps or Metro app data but any regular windows programs like Chrome, Office 2013, etc will have to be installed again.

But you can do the refresh and before you put things back on you can see if it is working again and maybe you'll be able to figure out what is causing your issue.

When I do a refresh it does delete all my Modern UI apps!? Am I doing something wrong... the only things that survive are my documents etc.

MickeyLittle

When I do a refresh it does delete all my Modern UI apps!? Am I doing something wrong... the only things that survive are my documents etc.

I'm not sure what you could be doing that I'm not because all my Modern UI apps end up back on the tablet after the refresh. In fact all their data still remains. I have a folder on the desktop with a list of deleted desktop applications so that I will know what apps to reinstall. I do have to re-download some things like my Kindle Books but all in all it is a pretty painless chore for me.