What's new

Type cover opinions

OP
V

vsherry

If you're willing to open up to Bluetooth keyboards, which can be quite portable, you already have a third-party option. I do like the way the type cover hooks directly up to the device, though.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I weird too. Type Cover works for me. If you don't like it, well, then, consider it a $100+ protective cover. o_O
But I truly do like the type cover, and the track pad, except I am waiting for Windows 10 Technical Preview to allow me to disable 'tap to click'.

It's pretty terrible in my opinion OP, and apart from hardware issues I had with the SP3, was one of the main deciding factors in my going with a different product, (eventually settled on the core m dell venue pro 11 - which has an amazing detachable keyboard and 20 hour battery life).

The type cover was just too flimsy, bounced up and down regardless of the surface it was on, and got super dirty super quickly. And it really needs a magnet on top, or else it's useless imo as a "cover."

wditters

It's pretty terrible in my opinion OP, and apart from hardware issues I had with the SP3, was one of the main deciding factors in my going with a different product, (eventually settled on the core m dell venue pro 11 - which has an amazing detachable keyboard and 20 hour battery life).

The type cover was just too flimsy, bounced up and down regardless of the surface it was on, and got super dirty super quickly. And it really needs a magnet on top, or else it's useless imo as a "cover."
I too considered the Venue Pro at some stage. The Atom CPU however makes it unfit for my use, as I predominantly work with VMware virtual machines. The SP3 is a sheer powerhouse in comparison, and is much more capable of delivering the horsepower to run multiple VMs. Atom CPUs simply don't cut it in that area..

I too considered the Venue Pro at some stage. The Atom CPU however makes it unfit for my use, as I predominantly work with VMware virtual machines. The SP3 is a sheer powerhouse in comparison, and is much more capable of delivering the horsepower to run multiple VMs. Atom CPUs simply don't cut it in that area..

I have the latest version which is intel core m - benchmarks right around the i5 SP3, maybe 5-10% less, and supports 8g ram and 256 ss drive, the SP3 isn't at all a powerhouse in comparison - more powerful, yes, if we're talking the i7, but not leagues better by any means - and the battery on the core m Venue Pro is a powerhouse in comparison.

Previous gen also had core i3/i5's in addition to the atom models...

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the difference comes when you consider how good a tablet these devices are as well. As someone who rather unexpectedly uses my surface more often as a tablet and with the writing experience a BIG plus for me the type cover makes perfect sense I wouldn't want something more substantial most of the time and if I did I'd add a Bluetooth keyboard, my hubby recently bought a nice portable Microsoft one with a large trackpad, but I've never tried it as I've never needed to.
Here for me the aspect ratio of the SP3 also helps enormously compared to other hybrids as well both in tablet (portrait and landscape aspect) and in laptop mode. I find the surface a pleasure to use in both guises. Where the other hybrids like the HP envy just look too much of a compromise on the tablet aspect especially in portrait mode. It all comes down to how you use the device. If you never use it as a tablet then it's nothing more than the thinnest lightest core laptop you can buy but with a "dodgy" keyboard to keep it thin and light..

BillJ

I weird also. When I type a long document, I prefer the type cover. Recently I set up a new HP Envy laptop for my wife, and found it difficult to adjust to a regular keyboard.
(I did find, however, that the new "control zone" touch pad on the HP is a wonderful delight; a perfect complement for operating Win 8.1 !)

kevinlevrone

What do you guys think of the type cover for the Surface? IMO, it's overrated.

I think it's pretty much perfect aside from lack of some dedicated editor keys. I'm using it for more than 1 year for heavy programming and it works great. The Type Cover 3 that stays tilted up with the SP3 magnet is even better.

Does the bouncy/springy feel when you're typing not bug all of you that like the typecover? I found I preferred it when the cover was on the ground as it just felt more like a real keyboard.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doesn't bother me at all, and I prefer the keyboard up as it feels much more natural, I'm not saying it's better than a "proper" keyboard, I'm just saying it does the job well enough for me not to feel the need for anything else.

kevinlevrone

Does the bouncy/springy feel when you're typing not bug all of you that like the typecover? I found I preferred it when the cover was on the ground as it just felt more like a real keyboard.

To be honest, the keyboard does not feel any bouncy or springy to me. If you type in a way that applies a lot of pressure when typing and a lot of impulse force (for example if you come from a background of old IBM keyboards), you may feel such things, but if you lightly touch the keys (which for me feels natural and also speeds up typing) the keyboard will not feel bouncy at all.