What's new

Type Cover Use in Portrait Mode

Earthcop!

Heya people,

I just got a Surface Pro 2 and am loving it, although I've been having trouble developing a basic workflow on the thing.

I'm an illustrator and therefore use portrait mode quite often, but my type cover gets disabled when ever I flip it to this orientation. This is a huge hassle, because I use keyboard shortcuts all the time in photoshop. I've messed around with on-screen macro keys and things of the like, but it's simply just to clumsy to effectively use.

So the question is, how can I enable the type cover while the screen is in portrait mode? Theoretically you can enable it by setting the monitor to portrait, but this is finnicky and often undoes itself. I've found ways to make photoshop more user friendly by changing registry keys, but I have not found any for the covers yet.

I've scoured google for answers to no avail, and haven't seen anything around here either. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your time guys.

OP
Earthcop!

Earthcop!

Thanks for the timely response, but this isn't quite what I had in mind. As I said, I've messed around with on-screen buttons before and find them cumbersome. Meanwhile, I've considered the wireless adapter but it seems ultimately kind of unnecessary to me to carry around an extra accessory for something that is happening at the software level. Not to mention, I'm not sure if the keyboard will still be disabled in portrait mode, even with the adapter attached.

So, from what your saying, there doesn't seem to be any obvious way to do this? I've found ways to alter the touch functions through changing registry keys, but have not found any way so far to manipulate the keyboard through this method.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Did you look at the first link? It is a floating toolbar specifically for tablet users who use Art Programs, specifically the keyboard shortcuts.

oion

Heya people,

I just got a Surface Pro 2 and am loving it, although I've been having trouble developing a basic workflow on the thing.

I'm an illustrator and therefore use portrait mode quite often, but my type cover gets disabled when ever I flip it to this orientation. This is a huge hassle, because I use keyboard shortcuts all the time in photoshop. I've messed around with on-screen macro keys and things of the like, but it's simply just to clumsy to effectively use.

So the question is, how can I enable the type cover while the screen is in portrait mode? Theoretically you can enable it by setting the monitor to portrait, but this is finnicky and often undoes itself. I've found ways to make photoshop more user friendly by changing registry keys, but I have not found any for the covers yet.

I've scoured google for answers to no avail, and haven't seen anything around here either. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your time guys.

I'm trying to visualise this. So are you saying you hold/place the tablet in portrait mode with the keyboard attached, like a book--thus the keyboard is sideways but you still want to use it? That's quite outside the realm of normal use as MS envisioned it, I guess. :p I don't know if this is driver level or firmware or something in the OS, but it appears external is the only option at this point (with a Surface)... (or whatever Jeff posted ;D).

OP
Earthcop!

Earthcop!

It looks that way. Everywhere I look, no one seems to think it's possible. I just figure that if the OS deliberately tells the keyboard to shut off in portrait mode, then I can tell it to stop doing that. Of course, I know it's rarely as simple as that, but well you know. I thought I'd try. It's just such a pain :\

BTW, jnjroach, I looked at both your links. I downloaded artdock and messed around with it, but it's just not what I'm looking for.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The keyboard to surface behavior is in the Firmware of the device, I don't believe there is a way to modify the behavior. The Bluetooth receiver is really small.

beman39

I'm trying to visualise this. So are you saying you hold/place the tablet in portrait mode with the keyboard attached, like a book--thus the keyboard is sideways but you still want to use it? That's quite outside the realm of normal use as MS envisioned it

I was thinking the same thing oion, to me the best bet is to get the MS wireless keyboard adapter like JNJroach suggested in his second link or buy a Bluetooth keyboard...people always have this weird quirk on how to use the Surface and then they get annoyed with it...can never figure it out lol

OP
Earthcop!

Earthcop!

I was thinking the same thing oion, to me the best bet is to get the MS wireless keyboard adapter like JNJroach suggested in his second link or buy a Bluetooth keyboard...people always have this weird quirk on how to use the Surface and then they get annoyed with it...can never figure it out lol

I can get what your saying but at the same time, when you invest so much money in something you kind of expect it to do what you want. Especially if it's kinda straightforward in premise. I mean, yes, I admin using a keyboard sideways is kind of a weird request but at the same time it's not rocket science. Anyway, sorry, not trying to be critical. That's just where I'm coming from.

beman39

I'm not trying to be patronizing BUT when something is not designed/intended to be used in a unique way you can't get annoyed because you paid alot for it... I paid alot for my laptop but does that mean I should get annoyed because I can't use it in portrait mode? whether it's rocket science or not still doesn't mean I can use it that way... but with the suggestion that jnjroach gave you that's the only logical viable way to use the Surface in the unique way that you would want... which personally to me is acceptable.

OP
Earthcop!

Earthcop!

Well thanks for the input jnjroach. Your suggestions were better then nothing. I may just have to suck it up and go with something along those lines.

You have a couple of options, there is a Photoshop Toolbar discussed here:

New ArtDock for Surface Pro

Or you can get the Bluetooth Bar for your Type Cover:

Wireless Adapter - Microsoft Store

Do you know if the bluetooth bar actually works that way?
When the keyboard is attached you can lock the screen to portrait mode but if you swing the keyboard out it auto switches to landscape. Fold back the keyboard and it autoswitches to portrait, even if you are holding it landscape-wise.
Maybe Surface completely disables external keyboard input in portrait mode.