What's new

Urban Armor Gear Surface Pro 2 case announced

OP
Zkyevolved

Zkyevolved

Well, I got mine! I'll post some pictures and a video of it later after some time with it. It looks chunky on the website, but in all honesty, it isn't as fat as it looks!

noneoftheabove

Can you tell whether it causes any heat build-up? I know that the final version of the UAG case has vents on the top, but I understand that the mgvapour skin of the SP/SP2 provides a lot of heat dissipation and it really look like the UAG case could have good heat insulation and cause the fans to run more often.

OP
Zkyevolved

Zkyevolved

The heating issue is actually the main concern I have. I am running tests now. I'm trying to do real world tests like:
  • Recharging it while doing light browsing and heavy browsing.
  • Recharging while playing games.
  • Discharging while doing heavy task activities (streaming, syncing, trying to get the fans to turn on).
  • Discharging while doing day to day tasks like browsing and editing documents.

While this last one is 99% of my usage, the fans never turn on, but that doesn't mean that the device isn't hotter, that's why I'm running CoreTemp while doing all of these things and viewing the excel document afterwards.

I'll probably post these results in my review. Let me know if there is anything specific you'd like to know about it.

OP
Zkyevolved

Zkyevolved

This is what I have.

Low, is lowest recorded.
High, is highest recorded.

Average is taking every point that CoreTemp and taking the average of the points.

Here you go!
Temp.PNG

These temperatures are all done streaming 1080p on youtube for 25 minutes.

noneoftheabove

Thanks for posting those temperatures - it really looks like it makes no difference, which is a bit surprising but really good! Subjectively, did it seem as though the fan was operating any more often to maintain those temperatures (although I appreciate that it is very quite and often not noticeable).

Also, is there anything else that you think is particularly good or bad about case? I've been looking for the right one or ages, but every time there is a single major flaw (power cable doesn't plug in, corners aren't protected, etc).

OP
Zkyevolved

Zkyevolved

Thanks for posting those temperatures - it really looks like it makes no difference, which is a bit surprising but really good! Subjectively, did it seem as though the fan was operating any more often to maintain those temperatures (although I appreciate that it is very quite and often not noticeable).

Also, is there anything else that you think is particularly good or bad about case? I've been looking for the right one or ages, but every time there is a single major flaw (power cable doesn't plug in, corners aren't protected, etc).

Sure, no problem. I honestly never hear the fan, because I don't do anything intensive CPUwise. I, for example, edit a lot of excel, edit documents, and use OneNote. I watch videos that I have locally as well. But nothing intensive! So, that 1-2 degree increase is based only on fan-free usage. But I will eventually do intensive tests.

The power cable can only be plugged in upside down. Other than that, it's a great case so far...

infer66

Thanks for taking the time to monitor the temperature. If you could find the time some video review would be great.
I had the incipio feather and capture cases on my SP2 but both of those cases were badly designed and overheated the device.

OP
Zkyevolved

Zkyevolved

Thanks for taking the time to monitor the temperature. If you could find the time some video review would be great.
I had the incipio feather and capture cases on my SP2 but both of those cases were badly designed and overheated the device.

Thank you for saying "thank you"! Haha. I have the feather case and to be honest, I'm not too happy with it. It could be that mine is defective and I might ask them to replace it.

In regards to the video, I was going to make one this weekend, but the unit I got was defective. So they're going to send out another case within the next few weeks. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt. Even with the faults, which aren't fatal, I'd like to wait. It is just a little deformed and the magnet on one of the sides of kick stand doesn't close all the way.

So when I get the next case, regardless of it being in good or bad condition, I'll review it in a video!

:)

noneoftheabove

Daft question, but is that the Incipio Feather or UAG case that is deformed - I was just about to pull the trigger on a UAG when I saw your comment!

I have only heard bad things abut the Incipio cases, but that is the first time someone has suggested that they overheat as well!

OP
Zkyevolved

Zkyevolved

Daft question, but is that the Incipio Feather or UAG case that is deformed - I was just about to pull the trigger on a UAG when I saw your comment!

I have only heard bad things abut the Incipio cases, but that is the first time someone has suggested that they overheat as well!

I've only seen negative comments about the Feather. I decided that not everyone could be wrong and bought it anyway. What a shame... The case is probably one of the best looking (based on how thin it is) but in all honesty, after trying to take it apart just once, I was having issues! It's REALLY tight on the computer, and I felt like I was going to rip my computer into pieces.

The UAG case on the other hand has rubberized sides, so you can just kind of fold it out? If you know what I mean, like a phone case. But it's very sturdy and hard. So while it's not difficult to take it out, it still feels a little stiff, which is good, as it won't break the device or have it fall out either. I think the UAG wins in many categories, but by having their own kick stand that DOESN'T deform the original kick stand is just fantastic and wins everything else. I ran some tests with the feather case while I had it on, but they weren't the same as the UAG, that's why they're not included in my results. I'd do them again, but I don't want to break my computer just for a silly case. It should protect my surface, not break it!

Just be weary of both cases: You can't fold the keyboard backwards, which is something that I'd love to see on a case for the SP2. Every time you fold the keyboard back on either case, the keyboard detaches. More so on the UAG than the feather, but it still detaches.

noneoftheabove

It seems that the UAG is everything it appears to be, which is great. Real shame about the Incipio feather, as it looks great but clearly suffers from quality control and some basic design fails.

thanks again for posting your comments, since no-one else has done a review yet, and even UAG are doing a poor job selling it (not even updated the photos on the website yet).