What's new

USB to Serial adapter

andreas1806

Hello everybody,
i need a Serial Port for my Surface Pro 3. I bought a LogiLink adapter that is compatible with windows 8, but it will not work. --> Error Code 10
So I went back to the shop and we tested the port. It works on a normal Laptop running windows 8, but we didn´t manage to get it to work on a SP3.
Does anyone have a solution for this. I can´t imagine, that nobody running a Surface Pro 3 doesn´t need a serial port.

Thank a lot in advance for your feedbacks!
Andy

OP
A

andreas1806

I don´t know which version the laptop in the store had. Could be 8.1, since it was brandnew.

Just found this... I will try it out:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don´t know... i think it should be a normal USB Port. It also works with my WinXP Laptop without problems...

it is a normal usb port but it outputs the minimum power required by the specification. many usb devices such as hard drives and cd drives do do not work on the sp3 but work fine on other computers.

i could be totally wrong, just throwing the idea out there.

Lobo

Since Andreas sounds German, you might want to check out this.

I totally recommend those, since I've been using them for ages on a daily basis – on Win XP, Win 7 and 8/8.1. Heck, they even run on OS X!

bluegrass

Hello everybody,
i need a Serial Port for my Surface Pro 3. I bought a LogiLink adapter that is compatible with windows 8, but it will not work. --> Error Code 10
So I went back to the shop and we tested the port. It works on a normal Laptop running windows 8, but we didn´t manage to get it to work on a SP3.
Does anyone have a solution for this. I can´t imagine, that nobody running a Surface Pro 3 doesn´t need a serial port.

Andy

Are you speaking about the old RS232 ports they quit putting on computers about 8 years ago?

Hello everybody,

Andy
Did you read this :
http://www.prolific.com.tw/us/showproduct.aspx?p_id=225&pcid=41

I have the same USB to serial adapter, I will check it.

UPDATE: I did a check on my chipset on the cable, and its an older unsupported model. According to Prolific. To check the chipset, you have to use the Check PL-2303 program on a machine where the drivers load properly, not your SP3.
  • Windows 8/8.1/10 are NOT supported in PL-2303HXA and PL-2303X EOL chip versions.

Last edited:

zhenya

We use a ton of these at my workplace. I buy them several times a year, 10-20 at a time. For years I have always bought the Hawking HUC-232s and we have never had an issue with them.