What's new

Charging a smartphone via the AC adapter - not working

kevinlevrone

Hi,

I have an LG G2 smartphone and trying to charge it using the USB charging port of the Surface Pro 3 power adapter. It doesn't work, the phone intermittently reports plugging in / plugging out the charging cable. But at least it works (slowly) trying to charge it on the SP3 USB port.

Anyone else has this issue ?

I am a bit sad that the AC adapter on SP3 is only 36W, the 48W SP2 charger has not had any issues like this. The tablet itself charges noticeably slower.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like a problem with the charger USB port or the charger in general. does it make any difference if the SP3 is not connected to the charger?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
As above. Sounds like a faulty charger. I just plug it in and it works like any other usb charger.

talon90

While I don't know what the charging requirements are for your LG phone, I am able to charge both my iPhone 6 plus and my iPad Air using the USB port on the charger. The only time I've had an issue with charging from the power adapter was when it was defective.

OP
K

kevinlevrone

Sounds like a problem with the charger USB port or the charger in general. does it make any difference if the SP3 is not connected to the charger?

As above. Sounds like a faulty charger. I just plug it in and it works like any other usb charger.

While I don't know what the charging requirements are for your LG phone, I am able to charge both my iPhone 6 plus and my iPad Air using the USB port on the charger. The only time I've had an issue with charging from the power adapter was when it was defective.

Interesting, when the phone is connected to the charger, the charger LED blinks intermittently and the SP3 is not charging. I suppose the charger doesn't have enough power to charge both at the same time (the phone has a Snapdragon 800 processor which draws 10W while charging and charges very fast, as opposed to about 5W on older phones). The charging now kind of works (only one of the devices is charged), but only when the SP3 is connected too, if I disconnect the tablet it starts doing the problem. Weird...but oh well :)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
The charger should have more than enough power to charge both, it's getting it straight from the wall. I've been able to charge all range of phones and tablets. All while charging the surface just fine.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting, when the phone is connected to the charger, the charger LED blinks intermittently and the SP3 is not charging. I suppose the charger doesn't have enough power to charge both at the same time (the phone has a Snapdragon 800 processor which draws 10W while charging and charges very fast, as opposed to about 5W on older phones). The charging now kind of works (only one of the devices is charged), but only when the SP3 is connected too, if I disconnect the tablet it starts doing the problem. Weird...but oh well :)
Oh well... why not get it replaced.

ruinah

I have a Galaxy S5 and mine won't charge my phone either. Charges the surface just fine. Maybe I will get a replacement and see if it helps.

OP
K

kevinlevrone

Oh well... why not get it replaced.

I have a Galaxy S5 and mine won't charge my phone either. Charges the surface just fine. Maybe I will get a replacement and see if it helps.

I am not replacing it primarily because I believe it's not a problem with the adapter, it's a technical limitation due to the fact that it cannot supply enough power for the SP3 and an additional device requiring more than 5W of power. I would think that one way to mitigate this would be to use an older USB cable that is not made for charging at high wattages. When these cables are detected the phone charges at 5W. I will have to try this at home.

ptrkhh

It charges my Lumia 820 fine, but it doesnt charge my BB Z10. Interestingly, the Nokia wall charger does charge the Z10. Go figure...

Buelligan

I am sure it is a faulty charger. I had the exact same issue TWICE! Worked fine and then it would do as you describe (blinking when phone plugged in). Lucky for me I had Microsoft complete. Called them and had a new charger in two days with NO QUESTIONS asked! Plugged it in and viola all worked fine. Still on my third, with no issues so far.

I know that this is not really on topic, as far as charging a phone goes, but I have been able to charge my Sony Playstation Gold Wireless Headphones with the SP3 charger.