What's new

using surface wi-fi in europe

britinsask

I will be travelling to England at the end of next month. In the past when I have taken a netbook or a lap top I have purchased a 'dongle' from a number of outlets and the initial price gives me X amount of time which can be topped up by buying more minutes. This allows me internet access from anywhere, especially useful when no wi fi is available. Can I use this with my Surface 2 ? If not what other options are available? Thanks

Rickie

Just spotted this. I understand you can't plus in a dongle on a USB point but you can get an external unit, like those by Alcatel. Although depending on where you are, in the cities, most coffee shops have WiFi anyway

OP
B

britinsask

Just spotted this. I understand you can't plus in a dongle on a USB point but you can get an external unit, like those by Alcatel. Although depending on where you are, in the cities, most coffee shops have WiFi anyway
Thanks for the info Rickie. I am more concerned about having internet access at homes of people we will be staying with. My Mom has just got a cellphone LOL so no chance of Wi-Fi at her house !! Can you suggest where I can get one of those Alcatel units and what sort of cost. Thanks for your help, britinsask.

Rickie

Thanks for the info Rickie. I am more concerned about having internet access at homes of people we will be staying with. My Mom has just got a cellphone LOL so no chance of Wi-Fi at her house !! Can you suggest where I can get one of those Alcatel units and what sort of cost. Thanks for your help, britinsask.
Hi there, I got mine from EE shop - I'm a customer so had a deal, otherwise I think they maybe around £50-70 but haven't checked! Then you just add PAYG sim card in your case. I'm sure there are others though!

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most phone shops will offer some sort of mobile internet USB dongle that should work with the surface. Most will be pay as you go. some will be contract but I presume you won't want that.