What's new

VideoStudio x7 compatible with windows 10?? (plus more questions)

Keithh

Is VideoStudio x7 compatible with windows 10??

Also what have you found as the best video editing suite to use with the surface?

Do you think its a good idea to clone a copy of the OS before installing new programs? If yes got any good recommendations of software to do this?

Final question do you think its a good idea to put a good sized sd card in the the surface for any video editing I do, to save wear on the internal HD?

Thanks for any and all advice :)

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

Are you asking about Corel's VideoStudio?

After initial updates it would be a good idea to create an image, or get Macrium Reflect, (free) to get an image backup.

Have a large (fast) card) would be nice but the potential life of the internal storage is quite long. The SD card would very likely fail before the internal storage.

OP
K

Keithh

Yes does Corel VideoStudio x7 work with windows 10?
Which do you think is better using windows 10 backup or Macrium Reflect?

leeshor

Corel does not list VideoStudio x7 as being Windows 10 compatible, (it does list x8). That doesn't mean it won't work. I have found no older program I use that would not work on 10 with an adjustment or 2. Macrium would be my preference.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would suggest an external SSD instead of the sd card if you are concerned about storage. Even though on USB 3.0 you will get about 50-60% of the native SSD performance it will be much faster than an SD card.

macster

Yes Video Studio Pro X7 works with W10. I use it and Magix Movie Edit Pro 2014. I like them both.

M~

OP
K

Keithh

Thanks with you guys advice, Im going to get an extra SSD and put it into a USB 3.0 case.

Question about using Macrium Reflect, if my surface crashes and I need to do a restore will it boot from USB or SD or ... Basically, Im wondering what medium do I need to put my backup on.
Thanks ;)

leeshor

You should create a bootable USB drive just to store the recover image and use the SSD for the images. That's really the least complicated imo.

I have so many systems I support I create the ISO somewhere else, usually on a server or NAS then copy it to a bootable drive when I need it.

OP
K

Keithh

When using Macrium Reflect should I clone all the partitions or only the C drive?
I have 1-System (None) Fat32 (LBA) Primary 2-Unformatted Primary (128mb) 3-Windows C: NTFS Primary 4-Windows RE tools (None) NTFS Primary
(last time I did something like this was back in windows 98 days ;) )

leeshor

The only way to clone a drive with imaging software is to assume the worst case failure. That means all the internal partitions should be backed up.

OP
K

Keithh

Kind of confused in the past I would need to boot to usb and have the back up software on the USB.
Can you give me a hint how to get started with Macrium Reflect. Also curious would it be safe deleting the windows.old folder. It takes several gigs on the system

leeshor

Kind of confused in the past I would need to boot to usb and have the back up software on the USB.
Can you give me a hint how to get started with Macrium Reflect. Also curious would it be safe deleting the windows.old folder. It takes several gigs on the system
Firstly, do you know how to create a bootable USB drive? If so, use Macrium to create a recover image and copy it to a place on the USB drive where it will boot to the recovery program. You can also store backup images there but I find it easier to have a boot USB separate from the backups. There is a program called EasyBoot that will allow you to boot to multiple ISOs. It can come in pretty handy. I can do installs of Windows straight from that USB drive.

On my EasyBoot USB drive I have an anti virus ISO, Windows 7 and Windows 10 ISOs and diagnostics. I frequently use it in the place of CD/DVDs