What's new

Want Windows 10 but haven't gotten the update notification yet?

macmee

This is completely stolen from reddit, but it worked for me (well-- it says it's downloading for me now):

Delete everything out of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

In Windows Updates, Click to search for updates, leave the window open but dont hit search yet

Open command prompt as Admin and type "wuauclt.exe /updatenow" but DONT HIT ENTER

In Windows Update, Click to search

While it is searching hit enter on the command prompt

You're now downloading W10

If you get an error trying to install use the direct link installer in the link below. (you might have to refresh the page a couple times)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10+

This works.

Reactions: WAR

WAR

That worked for me . .

I came in to my office this morning with an error with my Windows 10 download. Although I've got it fixed, it looks like it will take 4 to 5 hours to complete the download if I don't experience another error.

OP
macmee

macmee

That worked for me . .

I came in to my office this morning with an error with my Windows 10 download. Although I've got it fixed, it looks like it will take 4 to 5 hours to complete the download if I don't experience another error.
I'm fairly certain there's another error which can happen in "preparing to install" in Windows Update. I got that twice last night but this morning it just worked. I chalk it up to be either a bug and you just have to keep trying this whole process, or Microsoft time gated the release.