What's new

Well, this is enought, no more Surfaces for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodBytes

Ok First of all, your digital camera amplifies the problem like crazy, as you used auto mode, and didn't set it to manual with proper ISO settings.

Second, backlight bleeding on mobile device is normal. It has to do with the technology limitation due to size constraint.

All decent and lower end IPS monitors (mostly 6-bit panels, by correlation. What I mean, is that true 8-bit IPS panel cost a lot of money, jumping the panel to a different market, one that can spend more on a money, say 700$+, allowing manufactures. to spend more on cutting out the back light bleeding. As most consumers aren't willing to spend the premium price, and 6-bit panel is "good enough", it's cut out there).

It sucks, hopefully they are better panels where you have less back light bleeding is available and Microsoft picked it for the next gen Surface Pro, but it's life. All tablets have it. Although, smaller the screen, the less visible it is.

I am on my 4th and I will agree that there is a level of quality expected with a surface pro.

I had.

Scratched screen
Broken volume buttons
Dead pixels

None of these I expect on a 1800 pound tablet.

Screen bleed would have to be minimal and evenly spread.

I doubt you'll get your money back, a replacement is more likely.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am on my 4th and I will agree that there is a level of quality expected with a surface pro.

I had.

Scratched screen
Broken volume buttons
Dead pixels

And if you cant get your money back take the replacement and sell it immediately.

ctitanic

Ok First of all, your digital camera amplifies the problem like crazy, as you used auto mode, and didn't set it to manual with proper ISO settings.

Second, backlight bleeding on mobile device is normal. It has to do with the technology limitation due to size constraint.

All decent and lower end IPS monitors (mostly 6-bit panels, by correlation. What I mean, is that true 8-bit IPS panel cost a lot of money, jumping the panel to a different market, one that can spend more on a money, say 700$+, allowing manufactures. to spend more on cutting out the back light bleeding. As most consumers aren't willing to spend the premium price, and 6-bit panel is "good enough", it's cut out there).

It sucks, hopefully they are better panels where you have less back light bleeding is available and Microsoft picked it for the next gen Surface Pro, but it's life. All tablets have it. Although, smaller the screen, the less visible it is.
I keep saying it. It's not a defect because it's within the expected level by the manufacturer.

olimjj

I had.

Scratched screen
Broken volume buttons
Dead pixels

"Fool me once shame on you"
" Fool me twice shame on me" Fool me thrice or more borders on masochism:D

goodintentions

I keep saying it. It's not a defect because it's within the expected level by the manufacturer.
I'm actually one of those who jumped into the tablet market since the first iPad came out. Ever since, I've gone through several generations of iPads and android tablets (both high end and low end). I've been involved with many tablet forums.

I can assure the OP that back light bleed is normal regardless of manufacturer. The effect bothers some people, but the overwhelming majority simply don't care.

Case in point. My sister and her husband have 3 boys. A couple years ago, they got an Asus transformer TF700 for each member of the family. At the time, this was the highest priced and top hardware android tablet you could find in the market. A few months later, I went to visit and noticed that when they turned on their tablets there was light bleed. I asked them and nobody in that family ever noticed it.

The fact of the matter is very few people actually get bothered by this phenomenon. And the fact that this phenomenon has existed since at least the first generation of the iPad and continues to be in most devices these days, including the latest iPad generation, tells me there haven't been enough people who cared enough for the manufacturers to spend the money and resources to get rid of this phenomenon.

Again, I am very fortunate to have gotten my first sp3 with absolutely no problem and no light bleed. Last night, I restarted this thing 3 times and tried to notice any light bleed in a dark room. None at all. So, I guess I'm extremely lucky. However, since I'm one of those that really don't care about light bleed since I don't sit all day staring at the startup screen, it makes no difference to me.

SeanP

Nothing is perfect, it's a matter of establishing if there are more positive than negative points while using the device. I don't know if mine suffers from backlight bleed. If this issue is there then it's not something that bothers me when I'm using the device. I don't spend time in the boot screen after all.

This is the kind of BS response that I absolutely HATE.

Is it unreasonable to ask that a $1200+ device not have light bleed, yellow banding, sluggish response, multiple issues despite being a freaking 3rd Gen product? When did we become people that are willing to overlook some of the negatives (BIG ONES) and actually search for positives? Jesus...it's sad.

Yeah, nothing is perfect...we get that...but when you look up SP3 there are so many issues with the machine it's endless. Battery, screen issues, wifi persistent problems....all common. And yet, "let's try and focus on the positives"...Ugh

Society of Mediocrity unite

fonzman78

Is it unreasonable to ask that a $1200+ device not have light bleed, yellow banding, sluggish response, multiple issues despite being a freaking 3rd Gen product? When did we become people that are willing to overlook some of the negatives (BIG ONES) and actually search for positives? Jesus...it's sad.

Yeah, nothing is perfect...we get that...but when you look up SP3 there are so many issues with the machine it's endless. Battery, screen issues, wifi persistent problems....all common. And yet, "let's try and focus on the positives"...Ugh

Dunno, but it sounds like you aren't happy with your SP3. Why do you keep it? I've said it many times, if you aren't happy with a product take it back. Or sell it. Or give it to a friend. Or something. Why waste cycles telling people on a 'Surface' forum that their baby is ugly. You aren't going to convert hardcore owners. I just make you seem...sad?

On the bright side, most of us love our SP3's. If you consider the ability to carry around a full i7 computer in a tablet form factor mediocre, then you may have misplaced values. The SP3 is an engineering marvel. Well, at least for those of us on this forum. Go to the iPad forum and you will see tons of folks who consider their tablets to be engineering marvels. Not sure why, but let them have their fun.

As for me, I will gloat and brag about my engineering marvel to anyone who will listen. I'll take the SP3, issues and all, over any other device currently in the market.

SeanP

Dunno, but it sounds like you aren't happy with your SP3. Why do you keep it? I've said it many times, if you aren't happy with a product take it back. Or sell it. Or give it to a friend. Or something. Why waste cycles telling people on a 'Surface' forum that their baby is ugly. You aren't going to convert hardcore owners. I just make you seem...sad?

On the bright side, most of us love our SP3's. If you consider the ability to carry around a full i7 computer in a tablet form factor mediocre, then you may have misplaced values. The SP3 is an engineering marvel. Well, at least for those of us on this forum. Go to the iPad forum and you will see tons of folks who consider their tablets to be engineering marvels. Not sure why, but let them have their fun.

As for me, I will gloat and brag about my engineering marvel to anyone who will listen. I'll take the SP3, issues and all, over any other device currently in the market.

1 - I had ZERO issues when the SP3 first came out. ZERO. Then, as I have said countless times, when the firmware updates came in, many saw their machines perform worse, not better. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to do a little research and discover that fact.

2- I abandoned the MacAir line in search of a better device for mobile use. I am responsible for these tasks for my company and deploying more than 30 of these for field sales personnel. I am tired of "almost good enough" and in business, almost doesn't cover it. Not saying it needs to be perfect, but it needs to be closer given the cost associated with a potential $35K investment for a small company such as ours

3 - These boards and other forums are meant for fanboys to pet their new devices and talk about how great they are? Do me a favor. Read the threads and tell me how many of them are positive vs those that have concerns or serious issues./questions that need to be answered. People like you that close their eyes to the obvious are why Microsoft suffers in this arena. I'm not a huge fan of Apple for Enterprise but one thing they do..they don't settle for "good enough" and that's why they dominate the cell phone industry and tablets. It's why the consistently receive the best marks for customer service and reliability.

I'm looking for something where I pay $1500 and receive what I have paid for. Now, if that's good enough for you, great. More power to you. I want this to work. I do. I have spent countless hours "fixing" the issues and receiving now my 3rd device. That's 3 different devices to try and solve the issues.

Real professionals don't take "almost" for an answer. If you want to accept Mediocrity and "good enough" for an answer, fine. If this were some $300 - $400 tablet I'd be willing to overlook many of the problems.

Hopefully and for the sake of MS they don't think like you but I have my doubts.

ctitanic

And how do you call those who hate the device but still own them? I know the answer but I'll keep it for myself.

Nuspieds

Unless a device is going to save your life or make you oodles of money, what's the point of exchanging and exchanging and exchanging and exchanging and...? Why continue to be miserable and unhappy if the product keeps disappointing and failing you? Return it for a refund if you can; otherwise, try to sell it and get as much back as you can.

And, yes, it is true that nothing human-made is ever perfect. As a consumer, you have to judge whether a product with its inherent flaws and weaknesses is "good enough" for your Use Case; what's "good enough" for you may definitely not be "good enough" for me.

Today I was researching a new router and just when I thought I stumbled on what was going to be my leading candidate for purchase, I read a line in the review indicating that the router does not allow you to store client names in the DHCP Reservation list. Now, to me, that's not "good enough" and I immediately crossed it off my list--but that's me; others may not see this as a flaw whatsoever.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.