What's new

What am I going to regret the most if I order the 2GB model?

InspectHerGadget

Well, I weighed up my options and decided to do a refresh and of course the sound is working now.

Jeeeez. This reminds me of the early days of the RT and Surface 2 and probably the Pro series as well. Mysterious ailments, crashes and device driver problems. I fix computers for a living and I swear it is rare for things like this just not to work. I'm wondering if it is something to do with the reliability of the eMMC storage or whether it is a driver screwing things up. I'm applying updates now.

I'll see how it goes. I didn't mean this to be a whinge on the Surface 3 but I do wonder what is going on. The truth is the only thing that compares to the Surface 3 is the Surface 2 so not a lot of options really for something this small and compact running windows.

Edit: When we went back to the Surface 2 yesterday, it wouldn't start and needed a complete reset rather than just a system refresh which I did with the Surface 3. Coincidence? A problem windows update for both RT and Windows that causes an issue seems unlikely.

Edit:Monday. Yup, go slows and unexpected crashes after the system refresh, so going back to Microsoft.

Last edited:

InspectHerGadget

I've decided I will leave the Surface 3 until the Surface Pro 4 comes out. The problem for me, aside the fact it had a major fault of causes unknown, is that the Surface 2 is really almost as good, provided you're not dying to get win32 apps you can't have. My wife really quite likes it except it is a bit slow sometimes. Well, the Surface 3 is a bit slow sometimes too and there really isn't enough to distinguish it from the Surface 2. If it had an SSD and a Core M, yes it would be nice but it is asking the impossible. I also like the RT, no malware or other threats, Office built in and all that. I was in fact a major fan of the Surface 2.

I will wait for the i3 model of the Pro 4 to come out. This will be a corker and will be much faster than either the Surface 3 or the Surface 2 and will only cost a few hundred more than the Surface 3 with 4G/128G. The only reason really to get the Surface 3 is size and weight and for 200g extra you can get a much faster machine with no performance issues.

I also wonder how many people have had issues with the Surface 3 and even with a poll on the forum, it is probably still not that objective as the people who have given up the Surface 3 probably don't take much interest any more on Surface 3 posts.

jace88

So far I've had no issues with the Surface 3 compared to other Windows devices in the past eg Asus T100. I really just wanted something which could run Windows applications when I needed them, and was semi modern. My other non work laptop is a Macbook Air 11" from when they first launched with the Core2Duo processors (but still runs surprisingly well today with Windows 7).

It's definitely not that powerful but I'm happy with what it can do as I leave gaming for my PS4/Xbox 360 - and even then I struggle to find time to game with 100 hour work weeks.

InspectHerGadget

I sent mine back today for a refund. I might get one again later. I'm in two minds as the price differential between this and the Pro is not that much, yet the Pro is much faster and even more so if I wait for the Pro 4. I will have to wait a little while as they are staggering the launches so people get the Surface 3 first then hopefully buy the Pro 4 as well when it comes out. My wife is happily typing away on the Surface 2. Who knows she might still be using it in two years time when they stop support for RT.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I used my Surface 2 yesterday for the first time in a while and it's definitely going on the auction block. I said many times in the past that it would have been better in 16:10 format rather than 16:9 but the Surface 3 3:2 is even better. It now reminds me of those stupid narrow glasses that only give you a stripe of vision. People come up with the dumbest stuff for all the wrong reasons and 16:9 computer displays is one of the dumbest.

InspectHerGadget

My wife noticed that the Surface 3 was faster but really didn't say too much else. She's back on the Surface 2 and seems happy. She also said going from the RT to the Surface 2 the same thing, a bit faster. I prefer the screen shape on the S3 but she never seemed to notice.