What's new

Solved What is Transmemory?

agt499

Just browsing the settings>privacy area, and I see under 'Other Devices' that there is a setting for 'Let Apps use my TransMemory' -which is enabled by default.
I don't seem to be able to find any reference to this anywhere -does anyone know what it does?

malberttoo

Just browsing the settings>privacy area, and I see under 'Other Devices' that there is a setting for 'Let Apps use my TransMemory' -which is enabled by default.
I don't seem to be able to find any reference to this anywhere -does anyone know what it does?

What device do you have??

Do you by chance have a Toshiba USB thumb drive plugged in to your USB port?

OP
A

agt499

I've got an SP3 I5 256.

No, I don't have anything plugged in, but I did note all those Toshiba products when I searched for it!
Since I did a clean reinstall last week I'm pretty sure that the only storage I've attached at all was a (Sandisk) microSD card -which is now out.

I could see a sort of logic if it were related to say storing app data on microSD, but I've checked and inserting other USB sticks doesn't trigger extra entries.

Screenshot of the settings page attached - does nobody else have anything under the Trusted Devices (Xbox etc) area in here?

Attachments

• Transmemory.gif
    Transmemory.gif
    21.4 KB · Views: 594

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I searched the library of the ACM - Association for Computing Machinery - at ACM.ORG and found no references to Transmemory.

Similarly at IEEE.ORG - Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers - there were no direct hits although there was one loose reference in an article about Transactional Memory where Trans was found near Memory.

Possibilities are:
1. Typo or misunderstanding by the tech writer of a term used by an engineer. Sometimes the knowledgeable person doesn't thoroughly proofread or fact check written documentation. There was a famously documented feature of a MS technology that was published which was quite wrong. Engineering eventually corrected the mistake after said documentation was quietly pulled they claimed they never said it and it was never written. Stuff happens.

2. Microsoft has invented a new technology for which no documentation exists (nothing in Technet or MSDN) probably because the patent is pending :) although nothing shows up in a search of the USPTO database except the TradeMark filing by Toshiba for a USB stick.

3. Other, you decide.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Is your SD Card labeled as "Transmemory"? I have a USB drive listed in the same section that is labeled.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It might be a SdCard on his Phone based on the location and assumed context.

My Settings have no such reference so it is something that was picked up locally, on the network, or via another connection.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
OP
A

agt499

Is your SD Card labeled as "Transmemory"? I have a USB drive listed in the same section that is labeled.
No, the only sdcard that had been in there was unlabelled, and I did have a look at its volume details.
However, if you have a labelled USB store showing up there, it's a good sign that's the sort of thing it's about.
Good enough to satisfy me to ignore the setting.
Thanks for the input.