What's new

what resolution are you running?

mr.dj26

Hey guys,

share with us what res are you running :) to be honest I really dont know which one to choose.

Im currently running on 2160 x 1440 which is the highest but the desktop apps are so tiny and when I reduce it the text seem to lose its sharpness.

thanks

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I use the default resolution with the DPI settings with the slider at the setting one down from the right....which is approx. 150% DPI.

Geneo

Default (the above).
There's an old Windows problem fixer I tell my GF all the time: "If all else fails, right click it." This usually brings up a context sensitive menu letting you adjust or all the available options you can do.

Right click on the desktop and there you can pick an option (View) to make the icons small, medium, or large.

jedge

Out of the box, the resolution is set to 2160 x 1440 and the Desktop UI is scaled up to 150%. The Metro UI scales on it's own.

The only time you would want to change it is if you connect to an external display, like i have done here. I'm connected to a 24" monitor at 1920 x 1080 so i scaled the UI back to 100% since it's a bigger screen and lower resolution.
Capture.JPG

There are 2 minor problems with this:
1) every time you "dock" the laptop you have to manually adjust the scaling
2) changing the scaling requires a logoff/logon

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Out of the box, the resolution is set to 2160 x 1440 and the Desktop UI is scaled up to 150%. The Metro UI scales on it's own.

The only time you would want to change it is if you connect to an external display, like i have done here. I'm connected to a 24" monitor at 1920 x 1080 so i scaled the UI back to 100% since it's a bigger screen and lower resolution.
View attachment 2499

There are 2 minor problems with this:
1) every time you "dock" the laptop you have to manually adjust the scaling
2) changing the scaling requires a logoff/logon

Using GDI Scaling limits you to a single DPI setting across all monitors, using the Slider (8.x default) allows for the algorithm to compute the appropriate DPI for each monitor, this allows my SP3 to use 150 and my 24" 1080p Monitor to use 100.....

jedge

Using GDI Scaling limits you to a single DPI setting across all monitors, using the Slider (8.x default) allows for the algorithm to compute the appropriate DPI for each monitor, this allows my SP3 to use 150 and my 24" 1080p Monitor to use 100.....

When i use the slider, it only changes the size of the windows and text. How do you get it to change the entire UI?
Again, the picture below is when i'm plugged into a 24" monitor.
Capture.JPG

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
When i use the slider, it only changes the size of the windows and text. How do you get it to change the entire UI?
Again, the picture below is when i'm plugged into a 24" monitor.
View attachment 2501

If you are using the setting above on your SP3, it would mean the SP3 is running at 100% and your external monitor is running at Approx 66% DPI.

Windows 8.x Scaling uses an algorithm to scale based on Resolution, Screen Size and DPI to scale, the goal is to make the elements on the screens as close to each other. With my 24" 1080p Monitor using the default, my SP3 is 150% and my external monitor is 100%.

Truly independent scaling is next to impossible because the vast majority of Win32 Programs use GDI (XP) Scaling and do not up-scale very well, hence the middle ground that MS did with 8.x.

WinRT Apps can scale from WVGA to UHD without degradation as it is coded from the ground up to scale.

jedge

I have the SP3 monitor turned off when i'm connected to an external monitor.

So how do you set it to automatically scale the UI at 150% when using the SP3 screen and 100% when using an external display?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If you leave it at default it should use the proper scaling leaving your external monitor at 100%....

My wife does the same thing just uses the External Monitor when she is at her desk, I never could understand not using both, if I'm using one I'll use the SP3 as I can vet more info on it then a 1080 screen....