What's new

What should I expect?

BOBTECH

I just received a refurbished Surface Pro 3 I5/8GB/256GB tablet preloaded with Windows 10. Never used one before. After all the updates applied and the latest firmware downloaded, it seems to run warm to hot. What is normal for these devices? It was almost too hot to hold, but I refreshed Windows 10 and now it is just very warm. Should I exchange it or is this the best I can hope for?

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

You should wait a day or so to see if it gets back to "normal" operating temperature. There is no standard for that but because the updates do things in the background after a restart it may take a while to settle down.

Moving this to the Windows 10 SP3 section.

OP
B

BOBTECH

Welcome to the forum

You should wait a day or so to see if it gets back to "normal" operating temperature. There is no standard for that but because the updates do things in the background after a restart it may take a while to settle down.

It has been a couple of days. In fact, it seemed cool as I did many things. But as soon as I started browsing with IE11 (not Edge, not Chrome), it started getting very hot, getting to be about as warm as it is comfortable to hold. I do not want to spend hours setting it up if what I am going to ultimately do is exchange it again. Sooo, what should I expect? Is this normal or is this something that I need to exchange?

Yillbs

It has been a couple of days. In fact, it seemed cool as I did many things. But as soon as I started browsing with IE11 (not Edge, not Chrome), it started getting very hot, getting to be about as warm as it is comfortable to hold. I do not want to spend hours setting it up if what I am going to ultimately do is exchange it again. Sooo, what should I expect? Is this normal or is this something that I need to exchange?

Not to be rude, but if it were normal, then the device would not be available for purchase. People can't just hold things that are to the point it's to hot to hold. Are you being a little over dramatic about it ( seriously )? If not, then no, it can't be that hot. In fact, you should notice the fan way before it gets that hot. If it's getting that hot, and you are NOT noticing the fan, then that's likely the problem. These devices have a small chasis, and that fan helps quite a bit. Try to report back if you hear the fan, if it's that hot, the fan WILL be noticeable. If you're having to " listen " for it, then it's not on, or not functioning properly. If you do NOT hear a fan, then it needs to be send back, as it's defective.

leeshor

Hot is a relative term. My SP4 has always gotten warm when holding it to do what would seem like simple things but I wouldn't call it hot, you might.

OP
B

BOBTECH

Not to be rude, but if it were normal, then the device would not be available for purchase. People can't just hold things that are to the point it's to hot to hold. Are you being a little over dramatic about it ( seriously )? If not, then no, it can't be that hot. In fact, you should notice the fan way before it gets that hot. If it's getting that hot, and you are NOT noticing the fan, then that's likely the problem. These devices have a small chasis, and that fan helps quite a bit. Try to report back if you hear the fan, if it's that hot, the fan WILL be noticeable. If you're having to " listen " for it, then it's not on, or not functioning properly. If you do NOT hear a fan, then it needs to be send back, as it's defective.
Well, perhaps I am misreading the tone of your response, but there are only a ZILLION "my SP3 is hot" threads on this forum and others. Many report that when they bought them they had 8.1 installed and they ran cool. Then upgrades to 10 and they are NOW hot. Others seem to be saying that after the latest firmware update that their device started running warm. I am trying to sort through this to decide if I just came into these issues midway and hold tight for updates or if this specific unit has issues since I have no history with this product (Pro 4, yes).

As to your second point, it may hold the key. I have NEVER heard the fan, even when it is so hot that it was too hot to hold and i turned it off. I did hold it up to my face and felt some air, but it was almost completely silent even when the top vents were next to my ear. So it sounds like the fan is defective and I need to return it. Warm doesn't bother me, but hot does. Fan noise I care less about and would like more control over turning it on earlier. Thanks for your response.

Thanks

Yillbs

Well, perhaps I am misreading the tone of your response, but there are only a ZILLION "my SP3 is hot" threads on this forum and others. Many report that when they bought them they had 8.1 installed and they ran cool. Then upgrades to 10 and they are NOW hot. Others seem to be saying that after the latest firmware update that their device started running warm. I am trying to sort through this to decide if I just came into these issues midway and hold tight for updates or if this specific unit has issues since I have no history with this product (Pro 4, yes).

As to your second point, it may hold the key. I have NEVER heard the fan, even when it is so hot that it was too hot to hold and i turned it off. I did hold it up to my face and felt some air, but it was almost completely silent even when the top vents were next to my ear. So it sounds like the fan is defective and I need to return it. Warm doesn't bother me, but hot does. Fan noise I care less about and would like more control over turning it on earlier. Thanks for your response.

Thanks

Again, i'm generally just an ass, but I don't mean to be, if it's to hot or you to hold, then your judgement should be telling you something is wrong, which , it did. As for the fan, if it's that hot, and no fan, then the device needs to be services, or returned. As far as I know, no service manual exists, but taking off the screen to access the back is a PAIN IN THE ARSE. not that you mentioned trying that route, but if you do, I'd advise against it.

OP
B

BOBTECH

Something strange is happening here. Based on Yillbs comments about the fan (thanks, it was helpful) I opened a support case to exchange this for a different unit. Since it is somewhat of a crap shoot at this point to exchange it (this was a refurb so my experience with Microsoft refurbs is 100% bad) so while I am chatting with support I am trying to convince myself that it really is getting so hot that I need to exchange it, so I open up 3 or 4 busy sites in Chrome. Nothing. So I add 3 busy sites in Edge. Nothing, quite cool. So I know, I will add my several GB Dropbox to the mix. Surely downloading that will heat it up. Nope. Here is the point: I had at points up to 67% CPU utilization and it is completely cool, hardly any warmth at all. Now I am feeling almost embarrassed for starting a swap. Perhaps leeshor's comments about letting it settle down were spot on. Thinking at that point probably not sending it back.

So at home from work, I open just one of those busy sites and wow, it is getting very warm, almost uncomfortable to hold. Seriously? And there is some fan running but silently. I am throwing my hands up in the air. Probably swapping it for who knows what they will send. Thanks for the help, it is appreciated.

Yillbs

Something strange is happening here. Based on Yillbs comments about the fan (thanks, it was helpful) I opened a support case to exchange this for a different unit. Since it is somewhat of a crap shoot at this point to exchange it (this was a refurb so my experience with Microsoft refurbs is 100% bad) so while I am chatting with support I am trying to convince myself that it really is getting so hot that I need to exchange it, so I open up 3 or 4 busy sites in Chrome. Nothing. So I add 3 busy sites in Edge. Nothing, quite cool. So I know, I will add my several GB Dropbox to the mix. Surely downloading that will heat it up. Nope. Here is the point: I had at points up to 67% CPU utilization and it is completely cool, hardly any warmth at all. Now I am feeling almost embarrassed for starting a swap. Perhaps leeshor's comments about letting it settle down were spot on. Thinking at that point probably not sending it back.

So at home from work, I open just one of those busy sites and wow, it is getting very warm, almost uncomfortable to hold. Seriously? And there is some fan running but silently. I am throwing my hands up in the air. Probably swapping it for who knows what they will send. Thanks for the help, it is appreciated.

Lets try this, if you don't mind.
Open Chrome, and Edge, and your drop box account, then right click the task bar, and open inormation that shows you the resource usage. Then go ahead and take a screen shot of the image that shows you the avialable resources and post it here ( not the running tasks ). Once you do that, if CPU usage is still up, please run this command :
netstat -aon | more

See if you can copy that and get a picture of that, also post it here .

try to run :
netstat -a -n -o
and get me a screenshot of that as well.

This will let me see the running processes with usage and CPU hierarchy next to them, seeing if something is getting priority it isn't. Syncing dropbox sould only cause high CPU usage IF it has a higher priority than say, windows host services, which it shouldn't.

I look forward to helping :)

OP
B

BOBTECH

Lets try this, if you don't mind.
Open Chrome, and Edge, and your drop box account, then right click the task bar, and open inormation that shows you the resource usage. Then go ahead and take a screen shot of the image that shows you the avialable resources and post it here ( not the running tasks ). Once you do that, if CPU usage is still up, please run this command :
netstat -aon | more

See if you can copy that and get a picture of that, also post it here .

try to run :
netstat -a -n -o
and get me a screenshot of that as well.

This will let me see the running processes with usage and CPU hierarchy next to them, seeing if something is getting priority it isn't. Syncing dropbox sould only cause high CPU usage IF it has a higher priority than say, windows host services, which it shouldn't.

I look forward to helping :)

Thanks for your genuine offer to help but the unit is wiped in prep for return. I may regret it but too much strangeness. The tech said that they will make sure I am satisfied. I have a benchmark now. The next unit will either A) Be better in which case I am satisfied. B) Be the same which means I live with it as it means that it is likely the norm and accept it or C) it is worse which means I am an unhappy customer. But I now have a reference point to work with. Another week plus lost, but I have other equipment.

Thanks again. I do appreciate people that help.

bluegrass

I would say if you can sit it on your bare legs without it leaving red marks on your leg, it's not too hot. If it get's too hot to use, it will let you know.

Yillbs

I would say if you can sit it on your bare legs without it leaving red marks on your leg, it's not too hot. If it get's too hot to use, it will let you know.

It did let him know, the fact no fan comes on and it's hot to the touch, indicates a problem. you're assistance after a resolve is a bit moot.