What's new

Which Surface Pro 3 is for me?

CC268

Hey guys,

I am a Senior in Mechanical Engineering right now and I stumbled upon a friend who had one of these (he actually has the original Surface) and I thought it was awesome how he took his notes on it. I have an iPad (I am not an Apple fan but it was a high school graduation present) and taking notes on it is horrendous.

Anyways, the i7 version of the Surface is out of my budget at $1500, but I was thinking about the i5 128GB version. Am I missing out if I don't get the i7? I mean really...I have an Alienware M14X laptop as well and I don't game. I can't imagine the need for an i7, but correct me if I am wrong. Like I said, the i7 is out of my budget anyways, but it kills me to not have the best of the best (haha).

Should I wait for a newer version of the Surface to come out? (if that is even anytime soon)

Let me know what you think. Thanks a lot.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure there will be another new Surface Pro before you graduate but there's an awesome idea for a graduation present. In the meantime live sensibly and purchase within your budget, you should be fine.

BillJ

You will find many threads in this forum discussing the very questions you raise.
The short answer is this: for most people with "routine" computer and note taking needs, even the i3 should be fine.
I have the i5 8/256 because I run Photoshop and I keep lots of pictures and documents on my hard drive. However, I probably could have done just as well with the 4/128 version.
The i7 would not have offered me any meaningful improvement in the tasks I perform.

You could try an i5 and see if it meets your needs.
Worst case- you return it for a more powerful version.

OP
C

CC268

Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Web browsing...school stuff. I have no need to do any serious graphical stuff like Solid Works or Photoshop (which I don't use anyways) on a tablet like this.

Last edited:
OP
C

CC268

I guess the real debate is between 4GB/128 or 8GB/256...I am not sure about spending another $300 though.

I will say this...I have an Alienware M14x with 4GB RAM and 128GB SSD and it has always been MORE than enough. However, I would like to hear some input.

Last edited:

malberttoo

I guess the real debate is between 4GB/128 or 8GB/256...I am not sure about spending another $300 though.

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Most users will agree that if you are even a power user, but do not plan to do anything extreme on your SP3, then the i5 is the sweet spot.

I am a power user. I keep multiple tabs open in Metro IE 11, lots of remote desktop windows, Outlook, etc., and my i5/256/8gb will be more than enough, easily doing the job until the SP4 comes out.

You should be fine with an i5 also.

Hope it helps!

OP
C

CC268

Thanks a lot. I think the big question now is whether I should go with the 4GB RAM - 128GB SSD, or the 8GB - 256 SSD...another $300 is pushing it for me though. What is your opinion?

For instance I am running this, Youtube, and a SolidWorks assembly file - I am at 2.5GB RAM....is 8GB really needed? Having a hard time justifying that $300 for a tablet like this, but it is an option if it is recommended.​

Last edited:

qwertyy

Thanks a lot. I think the big question now is whether I should go with the 4GB RAM - 128GB SSD, or the 8GB - 256 SSD...another $300 is pushing it for me though. What is your opinion?

For instance I am running this, Youtube, and a SolidWorks assembly file - I am at 2.5GB RAM....is 8GB really needed? Having a hard time justifying that $300 for a tablet like this, but it is an option if it is recommended.​

4gb ram/128gb would be more than enough for your usage. Whether you want to go for the higher specs is completely up to you. You'll be mentally satisfied if you get the 8gb of RAM though :)

OP
C

CC268

haha...yes "mentally satisfied" is very true - a big weakness of mine. I always want the best of the best even if it doesn't make sense.

revmike

Then just buy the I7 otherwise you'll be hunted by what if? Then if you feel that you spent too much drop down to the 5.