What's new

Why do so many video sites not work?

OP
Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

I've spent more time trying to get things to work on my surface than I have browsing and having fun. This is a tablet not a pc. It should be easy to do things. I'm going to return my surface on the way to the apple store. Life is just too short.

Last edited:

ZachBui

mine showed an x box, couldn't view it until I entered the website.

It's not for everyone I guess, ever since i'm using my surface, my ipad w/ retina display is in the dust

uh60james

I only had my surface for a week before returning it to wait on a Pro but never once found a video that wouldn't play. Some wouldn't play in the metro browser but if I switched to the desktop browser they worked.

leeshor

I've spent more time trying to get things to work on my surface than I have browsing and having fun. This is a tablet not a pc. It should be easy to do things. I'm going to return my surface on the way to the apple store. Life is just too short.

Good luck with that! ;)

J515OP

Super Moderator
I haven't done anything to my RT and the video plays just fine on it.

Same here (nice workbench by the way). My best guess is that the iPad is actually pulling up a mobile site or iPad optimized site in instances where they are getting around flash. In this case I had no problems so it isn't the case here. But carefully check the url on the iPad and see if that might be the difference on other sites.

Also are you sure you sure you have all the updates installed?

FFX

Big Kahuna why are you here? All you do is whine and talk about Apple's crap products. I have used an iPhone 4 since it was released, and IOS is the worst tablet/phone OS on the market. It's so boring, and dumbed down and unstable I have 100s of crash reports on my phone running IOS 6.0.1..

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I know a lot of flash sites have to manually entered in the compatibility .cv file. But why will a lot of site's videos not run on my surface, yet they run perfectly on my wife's iPad? If that's true then they must not be flash driven. And if so, why? This is most frustrating and is a big reason my Surface could be going back to the Microsoft store.

Case in point, this video shows up as an x on my surface but works great on the ipad. There are many many more similar encounters, this is just an example: http://benchcrafted.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-portable-full-size-safari-ready.html
This video plays fine on my Surface....I don't hack the whitelist, those who do miss when MS updates it...

OP
Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna why are you here? All you do is whine and talk about Apple's crap products. I have used an iPhone 4 since it was released, and IOS is the worst tablet/phone OS on the market. It's so boring, and dumbed down and unstable I have 100s of crash reports on my phone running IOS 6.0.1..

FFX, Since you're asking, I'm here to learn. I'm also here to share my experiences, good and bad. It was with heavy heart that I returned my Surface today. I think it's a great piece of hardware, with loads of potential. It has many software and marketing flaws, however. The software flaws I've covered partly in prior threads. Marketing? I believe their ad campaign was lacking. It was meant to compete with the cool of Apple but never reveals the Surfaces true strengths and what sets it apart from Apples iPad: USB port, HDMI interface, SD card capable, MS Office included, touch keypad, etc. Furthermore, I believe it was a huge mistake, what with Microsofts vast financial resources, they didn't entice app developers with dollar incentives prior to launch. As one reviewer so eloquently put it: "...the App Store looks like a grocery store after a zombie apocalypse."

As a post script, I'll once again say that I've always been a devout pc and android guy, not until this day have I ever owned a single Apple product. I'll qualify that by saying I'm typing this now from a new wifi 64gb iPad, sipping a nice Pinot noir, listening to cool jazz on the pandora app and writing on the Tapatalk app. Something I sincerely hope you'll be doing presently on your surface.

As someone else said, it's not for everyone. Some like to dive under their car hoods and tinker with mechanics while others like me, prefer to simply climb behind the wheel, turn the key and drive off into the sunset. I bid you all a fond adieu.

Kind regards,
Big Kahuna

J515OP

Super Moderator
Big K, does the marketing of a product really matter to your use and enjoyment of that product? Not sure how that is a reason to be disappointed with your Surface. As far at the developer resources, you probably won't believe me but MS has in fact dumped more money into development for WP and Win8/RT than any other company has put into apps for their own stores. While you may have personally found the app store lacking the fact remains that MS's strategy to bring in developers has been successful with the fastest growing app store to date. It is easy to add the aps but the other features the Surface offers may never be available on competing platforms. If surfing the net and playing music is all you want to do the iPad should be a great device for you.