What's new

Why is Windows Module Installer churning my CPU?

Ive noticed in the past that if Windows installs updates in the wrong order it can cause some issues.

Maybe it was my fault last time that i forced the updates and didnt let them install automatically. My sleep study report now looks really good and SP3 is cool and quiet. Really happy again here. I hope i will not have to do it again and there won't be any faulty windows updates again ;)

malberttoo

Here it didn't help so i did a full factory reset today. All updates were installed correctly and without getting really hot.

Those things i realized:
1. Last time there were 44 updates after a factory reset. This time there were only 43.
2. Fan is much less likely to hear and I have the impression that the device is not so hot even under load.
3 I have several sleep study reports performed and in no one CPU was an activator as before
Two things i havent installed this time. I had installed a program before called "windows update notifier" and i didnt install firefox.
Still strange that a factory reset causes such a strong Change. Hope my SP3 will now work again good

Dude I'm starting to sound like a broken record I say it so much, but a full reset turned my SP3 into a totally different machine! I used it for 3 weeks and it was just buggy, crazy issues. Finally did the reset and now it's the smooth-running sports car I knew it could be!

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Yep I traded in my i3 for an i5 and when its running nice this is one sicka** sweet piece of kit. Hard to believe professional reviewers would have this for a week and give it only 4 stars. I mean my god, what do they want? How can they even mention that POS Macbook Air in the same sentence?

Perhaps there is another thing i should mention: This time i didnt install "BatteryBar Pro" to see how much time battery has remaining. Perhaps that program is killing CPU and battery a little bit, too. But i have read that a lot of people here use it and havent read that there are problems about "Battery Bar Pro".

malberttoo

Perhaps there is another thing i should mention: This time i didnt install "BatteryBar Pro" to see how much time battery has remaining. Perhaps that program is killing CPU and battery a little bit, too. But i have read that a lot of people here use it and havent read that there are problems about "Battery Bar Pro".

I'm using it, both before and after the reset.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
When background processes run like high priority processes they are not background processes. I also would question the efficiency of these processes, as it seems like they do the same thing over and over again. We all know what's been said about that. Windows Update downloading updates should not be causing UI sluggishness. I get it that testing something you deliberately configure to run slow is painful and frustrating which is why I think they have juiced their speed to no longer be an unobtrusive background process. Same for many others. these issues are in fact noticeable on a desktop computer but are significantly amplified in two scenarios, low power battery operated tablets and Virtual Desktop environments. MS need to put some serious attention to these and get things in order.

It is really "terrible" ... Now i am using my SP3 for two days since full reset and it is really like another machine. It stays cool, i cant hear fan really often and battery time is much better as ever before. Also connected standby report is looking much better. Reliability index isnt showing any error...

I am really surprised and i wonder. Last time, every update was installed without error. Like this time. But now it is working much better... Happy, but still wondering of course ... And when reading about those problems some have i can only suggest to to do a full reset, too. I really didn't believe that it could change it so big.

Only thing i changed this time when resetting was to let updates install in background and not forcing them. And as said, no batterybar program.

So is the general consensus to to a factory reset (not a refresh) to solve random quirky issues? I am on the fence right now whether I should return my i7 since it tends to get hot and loud a little more often than I expect when doing trivial tasks. If a Factory Reset will help, I'll give it a shot.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
So is the general consensus to to a factory reset (not a refresh) to solve random quirky issues? I am on the fence right now whether I should return my i7 since it tends to get hot and loud a little more often than I expect when doing trivial tasks. If a Factory Reset will help, I'll give it a shot.
I have NOT done a Reset. Refresh and keep files should do it.