What's new

Wi-Fi issues related to movement and USB 3.0!

Eplak

Hi!

I have posted about the same issues a couple months ago. After that i have gotten two new warranty replacements, and i am getting sick of this. I have made a video illustrating the problem, and i hope someone can help, identify or report the same issues.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@Eplak

I have looked at your original posting, and also this one, a duplicate.
Let's try to make some progress.

This still appears to be an interference issue. It is not clear whether other USB 3.0 devices also cause this problem. Also, have you tried:
1 - An extension cable to move your USB 3.0 slightly away from your Surface Pro 4
2 - Using a different USB 3.0 device, does it have the same issue
3 - Using this USB 3.0 device on a different PC, but nearby your Surface Pro 4, to see if interference continues

OP
E

Eplak

@Eplak

I have looked at your original posting, and also this one, a duplicate.
Let's try to make some progress.

This still appears to be an interference issue. It is not clear whether other USB 3.0 devices also cause this problem. Also, have you tried:
1 - An extension cable to move your USB 3.0 slightly away from your Surface Pro 4
2 - Using a different USB 3.0 device, does it have the same issue
3 - Using this USB 3.0 device on a different PC, but nearby your Surface Pro 4, to see if interference continues

I have tried all of the above, yes. It seems, as you said, like itis an interference issue.

As you saw in the video, it was very sensitive to movement in general. In the first clip, there were no USB-devices connected nearby (except mouse and keyboard on USB 2.0)

But even if it is an interference issue, it is a problem.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
USB 3.0 often interferes with other 2.4GHz communications, including WiFi, lighting remote controls, and garage door openers. The radio frequency situation of your environment is also a factor.

It is unlikely that the Surface Pro 4 is to blame.

Now I suggest:

- Retire that USB 3.0 device. Use a different one.
- Use 5 GHz WiFi.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
What is the USB 3.0 device brand & model?
Have you tried wrapping tin foil around it?
Is the cable shielded?

Maybe I missed it but I only saw it drop less than 10 mb/s.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I plug any USB 3.0 stick into my sp4 I lose all wi-fi connections. It's a pretty significant design flaw imo (regardless of who is to blame). Not everyone can just connect via 5 GHz.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
It is important to note that most interference occurs with the router, not the PC (end client). Shielding the router, with the exception of its antenna would be an important thing to try. Also, changing out the router might be necessary.

One of many discussions here.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I plug any USB 3.0 stick into my sp4 I lose all wi-fi connections. It's a pretty significant design flaw imo (regardless of who is to blame). Not everyone can just connect via 5 GHz.
You may actually have a bad device. I no longer have an SP4 but when I did I tested a bunch of USB devices and cant say I recall having an issue. Also haven't had any issues with my S2, S3, or SP3. I wonder if making a contact between the USB plug metal shell and the SP4 case would help yours. It would also be interesting to see if a USB wifi adapter would make any difference with or without long cables. maybe a wifi rabbit ear antenna ;)

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
It would be unusual to have three SP4s in a row with this issue. Make sure your power supply is properly grounded.
Also, test away from home. See if it is related to your work environment, including your WiFi/network.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Bad link. that's counter to the long usb cable distance theory though.

Link fixed.

The router being the weak link is something to investigate. The alternative, is that the Surface is the weak link, which a longer cable/dongle might remedy.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
You may actually have a bad device. I no longer have an SP4 but when I did I tested a bunch of USB devices and cant say I recall having an issue. Also haven't had any issues with my S2, S3, or SP3. I wonder if making a contact between the USB plug metal shell and the SP4 case would help yours. It would also be interesting to see if a USB wifi adapter would make any difference with or without long cables. maybe a wifi rabbit ear antenna ;)

When I got the thing I never had an issue. It started happening later down the road.

I find the notion of 2.4ghz interference interesting in my situation. If the thumb drives are plugged directly in, no wifi (it either shows as connected to wifi, but pages don't load, or the wifi will say not connected). If I plug the drives into a usb extension cable, and then place the drives exactly where they would be if plugged directly into the SP4, not an issue. I have no such issues with my S3 or partners SP3.