What's new

Wi-Fi Security - New device installed on public network

MMU

While browsing the "PC Settings" under "devices" I noticed I had a new device installed on my MS Surface Pro called "Lee s pad" (it has a computer icon). When I touch the icon it says it was installed on a WiFi network I use a few days ago. I do not know Lee.

Should this be possible? Do I need to change my settings?

Thanks.

OP
M

MMU

You might have accidentally paired with a device .. you can remove it from the list if not used.
Is there any potential harm from pairing with another device (assuming I have no reason to trust that the intentions are good)? How likely is it that two devices would pair without anyone intending them to pair?

Are there settings I can adjust so this does not continue to happen?

Thanks!

tonyz3

I am not sure but I believe when you connected you should have received notification to allow sharing or not which I think would have prevented this. I could be mistaken. I usually tether to my cell so I don't often connect to public wifi.

OP
M

MMU

I don't recall receiving any sort of notification. I think I would remember something like that. The Windows networking security options seem very complicated and yet they only have bare bones explanations as to what each setting actually does. I don't see how anyone but an IT security professional could feel confident their computer was secure.

Search tags for this page

anacortes public network wifi

surface pro wifi

surface security on public wifi

Members online

No members online now.